Baseball

Noble on way out

After 16 seasons, head baseball coach Rayner Noble will be ending his time at the helm of the UH baseball team.  Noble posted a 551-420 record with eight NCAA Tournament appearances, but after delivering two consecutive below .500 seasons, the athletic department has decided to move in a different direction.

Rayner Noble

The athletic department has yet to comment on the situation, but several reports surfaced Friday that Noble had coached his last game for UH.  Noble is signed through the 2013 season and was expected to make over $700,000 during that time.  Both sides are negotiating Noble’s remaining contract.

The move comes as a surprise to UH faithful. Despite recent struggles there was optimism surrounding the team after a late run to make the C-USA tournament but it was not enough for Noble to salvage his job.

This marks the beginning of another coaching search for new athletic director Mack Rhoades. Once Noble and the athletic department can agree to terms and find a replacement, this will be Rhoades’ fifth new coaching hire.

Noble played at UH from 1980-1983 as a pitcher, and then played in the Astros minor league system between 1983-1987.

Noble started his coaching career at Rice serving under  head coach Wayne Graham for three years before making the move to UH in 1987. Noble served as an assistant until 1994 when he replaced Bragg Stockton to become head coach. Noble won two C-USA Coach of the Year awards during his tenure at UH.

Rumors are circulating that the athletic department will again look to Rice for their next coach with assistant David Pierce at the forefront.

Four Coogs selected in MLB draft

Several Cougars have been rewarded for their prolific play on the diamond with the news they have been drafted to the majors.

UH shortstop Blake Kelso was selected as the first pick to the Washington Nationals.  Pitcher Michael Goodnight was drafted in the 13th round to the Cleveland Indians.

The hometown Astros picked catcher Chris Wallace in the 16th round.   Pitcher Ty Stuckey was taken in the 26th round by the Cincinatti Reds. With 50 rounds in the draft, it is possible and likely that more Cougars could be reporting to MLB teams.

The selections add on to a long list of UH players who have been drafted. The baseball program has produced more professional athletes than any other sport at UH.

Apart from the Cougars, every other team in the C-USA can boast they had at least one player selected in this year’s draft.