Coach Sumlin teaches football 101

Female fans attending Thursday’s third annual Cougar Football for Women experienced game-day preparations that included lessons from the athletics trainer. | Christopher Losee/The Daily Cougar

Over 100 female participants eager to grasp knowledge from the coaching staff and players attended the third annual Cougar Football for Women last Thursday at the UH Alumni Center.

Geared towards a female audience, Cougar Football 101 covered all aspects of the sport from hash marks to sports medicine.  Attendants participated in interactive drills including tours of the locker room, weight room etiquette, offensive and defensive sets and had the opportunity to win prizes.  Head coach Kevin Sumlin was pleased to see the turnout.

“It can only help you,” Sumlin said.  “We are here to include all fans.  Our target market cuts across all lines and we want to include anybody who wants to be a fan.”

Growing fan support and an anticipated upcoming season corralled female Cougar football fans to double last years’ attendance at the clinic presented by State Farm.  With an exclusive tour of the locker room, participants were lucky to catch some of the players as they geared up for the on-field demonstrations.

“It shows that people care and that they want to come out and have a good time,” Sumlin said.  “It’s an interactive situation in the classroom.  We do tours and we actually run around and practice a little bit.  It’s good to know that there are people that want to take part in Cougar football and get out there and have some fun.”

Included in the $45 registration fee was a ticket to see Sumlin and the Cougars face off Sept. 25 in the homecoming showdown against C-USA rival Tulane.  Sumlin said the event was supposed to be held every other year, but with the turnout from years’ past, it now has an important purpose.

“It’s about building fans and creating more fan support,” he said, “ which would hopefully transfer to the stands.”