Nolan moves to global stage

After finishing first in the 400-meter dash at the USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships, Nolan will go on to represent the United States at the World Junior Championships July 19-25 in Moncton, Canada. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Errol Nolan added another accomplishment to his freshman season this weekend at the USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Des Moines, Iowa, by winning the 400-meter dash. Nolan won the preliminary race and then ran a 45.68 split in the finals. The result means Nolan qualifies for the IAFF World Junior Championships July 19-25 in Moncton, Canada. Nolan will not be running for UH, but instead for the United States.

Noble and Athletics Department cut deal; Two Cougars begin pro career

Director of Athletics Mack Rhoades announced last week that Rayner Noble has coached his last game as head baseball coach. After 16 seasons, Noble leaves with a 551-420 record and has the most wins in school history. Noble was signed through the 2013 season and was due to make over $700,000, but Noble and the Athletics Department came to an agreement. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

Shortstop Blake Kelso signed with the Washington Nationals and has begun playing in the New York Penn League for the Vermont Lake Monsters. Catcher Chris Wallace was drafted by the Astros and has signed; he is playing in the Rookie Appalachian League for the Greenville Astros.

More preseason accolades for football team

The awards keep rolling in for the Cougar football team as another publication recognized several top players.  Senior quarterback Case Keenum, kick returner Tyron Carrier, and wide receiver James Cleveland earned their spots on the Sporting News Preseason All-America Third Team.

Linebacker Marcus McGraw was named to the Bronko Nagurski Trophy Watch List.  He is one of 74 other talented individuals to be recognized for performances over the last two seasons.  Last year, McGraw led the team with 154 tackles, ranking him fifth in the nation with 11.1 tackles per game.

Coleman and Lewis get NBA opportunity; Dickey lands recruit

Although not picked by any teams on draft night, Aubrey Coleman and Kelvin Lewis will get another shot at the NBA.  The Houston Chronicle reported Sunday that Lewis was invited to attend the Rockets minicamp and could potentially receive an invite to the summer league team. Aubrey Coleman will play for the New Orleans Hornets summer league team as reported by Neworleans.com.

Head men’s basketball coach James Dickey announced June 18 that 6-foot-5 forward Alandise Harris signed a statement of financial aid to play at UH. Harris graduated from Little Rock Central high school where he averaged 20.3 points, 10.7 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 2.7 blocks per game.

Buchanan completes staff

The women’s head basketball coach made the final additions to his staff, adding assistant coach Ravon Justice and new director of operations Rusty Laverentz. Justice and Laverentz are not new faces to Buchanan; both were assistants for Buchanan at his last coaching job at Houston Baptist University.