Baseball

Athletics Department announces baseball coaching hire

Todd Whitting | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Athletics Director Mack Rhoades moved quickly to fill the vacancy at the baseball head coach position when he announced Friday that Todd Whitting will succeed Rayner Noble.

Whitting’s most recent job was at Texas Christian University where he served as associate head coach, and helped lead the Horned Frogs to a College World Series appearance in June. Prior to coaching at TCU, Whitting was an assistant at UH and played for the Cougars before he graduated in 1995.

“We are thrilled Todd is returning to the Cougar family, he is a program builder who played a key role in all facets of the program at TCU and its run to the College World Series this year and its previous success.  Todd likewise was a vital component of our baseball program’s success in the early 2000s,” Athletics Director Mack Rhoades said in a release.

“When speaking with numerous baseball people across the great state of Texas, everyone spoke very highly about Coach Whitting the person and baseball coach.  He is committed to the development of student-athletes both on and off the field and will work tirelessly to elevate Houston Baseball to the next level in all areas.

Whitting said it was a career goal for him to return to UH.

“This is the opportunity for me to come back home. The reason I left the University of Houston seven years ago was to better prepare myself to be the head baseball coach at the University of Houston. Other than the birth of my son, this is absolutely the biggest day in my life. And Omaha is hard to top,” Whitting said to the Houston Chronicle.

This makes the fifth coaching for Mack Rhoades in his tenure as Athletics Director.