Camp, fun provided for cancer stricken children

Texas Children’s Hospital Cancer Center is taking its young patients out beyond the hospital walls for a fun-filled week of Camp Periwinkle from Aug. 1-7 at the barrier-free Camp For All site near Brenham, Texas.

“It really changes the children’s lives forever, because for this week they are not children with cancer, they are just children,” Medical Director of Camp Periwinkle Zoanne Dryer said.

The camp is primarily for children who are going through chemotherapy, but children who have finished their chemotherapy sessions are also welcome. Children are allowed to bring a sibling to accompany them.

The camp has been holding the summer program for 27 years and welcome both patients as well as counselors. There is a total of 180 campers between the ages of seven and 15 at Camp Periwinkle this year.

“It is a very motivating week for the staff and campers because people become very close to each other and the kids often form life long friends,” Dreyer said.

The children will enjoy a wide range of activities such as paint ball, dances, arts and crafts and a variety of sports, campfires and dirt biking.

The children will also partake in cooking activities. Local restaurants go out to the camp and provide cooking lessons and dinner for all the campers. Pappasito’s was at the camp last Saturday. Johnny Carrabba from Carrabba’s restaurant also comes and cooks for the kids.

Most of the faculty and staff at Camp Periwinkle are former cancer patients who attended the camp.

“One of the girls here as a counselor was my patient when she was younger,” Dreyer said. “I diagnosed her when she was two years old.”

• My children, Joey (patient, infant leukemia survivor) and sister, Elizabeth Sehn are both at camp for the first time. I miss them so much. The pics tell a great story. Dr. Dreyer is a blessing to have there. She has already called me to just give me an update (without even asking). She interacted with my children and that touched me more than words can describe. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity to share in the magic and memories that are made this week. We feel very lucky and blessed.
    John & Christina Sehn (Parents)

• Christina, my name is Tana Pike and I know just how you feel. My daughter Allison was diagnosed with A.L.L. at 4 years old. She is now 30 years old and has a handsome,healthy 6 year old son. I think it was more scary for me than for her when she went to camp with her big brother Clint for the first time. I worried so much, but when we went to pick them up, they both asked if they could stay another week! I was relieved and outraged at the same time. She has been back to camp every year since then as a camper and then as a junior,senior and head counselor. I can tell you for a fact that your children WILL have a wonderful, magical week and they will have lifelong friends from camp. Start a scrapbook or photo memory album mom, because you are going to need it! best wishes, Tana