Cougars aim to scorch defenses

With quarterback Case Keenum’s 5,000-yard performance last year and three 1,000-yard efforts from the receiving trio of Tyron Carrier, James Cleveland and Patrick Edwards, it doesn’t take an expert to predict the Cougars will air it out this season.

Opponents are well aware of this, so it’s up to new offensive coordinator Jason Phillips to evolve the offense and alter the unit’s play calling.

“The thing you have to do in order to stay fresh is try make sure our guys understand what we’re trying to accomplish,” Phillips said. “Everybody knows we’re going to throw the ball, but we also run the ball pretty effectively, too. So we just want to make sure all the guys understand what we’re trying to get accomplished, and that way they can go out and work hard, and be the best they can be everyday.”

Bryce Beall will still be the starter at running back, but Charles Sims will be absent from the team this year after being ruled ineligible by the NCAA in the summer. Chris Wilson is expected to get playing time as running back along with Jeffery Lewis, who played the position in high school but was a safety last year.

A late addition of another runner has changed things up.

Michael Hayes was added to the team Aug. 10 and will be able to contribute this season. Hayes last played for Blinn College, where he ran for 1,296 yards and 17 touchdowns last season. Hayes signed a letter of intent with South Florida, but requested a transfer. USF head coach Skip Holtz granted the transfer, paving the way for Hayes to join the Cougars.

Hayes has impressed his teammates and coaches with his speed so far in practice.

“Right now, we’re calling Mike the secret weapon,” Phillips said. “We’re excited about Mike, and we’re excited to get him in the fold in what we’re doing offensively. We look forward to seeing him play for us.”

Another change is Isaiah Thompson moving from defensive tackle to left guard. Thompson had 47 tackles on the defensive line last season, but his 6-4, 300-pound stature to an offensive line that needed his help. Thompson will start, and the consensus is the transition has been smooth.

“It’s been a great transition for him and also been great for our football team. He’s helping us out there on offense, he helped us on defense, but offensively he’s the kind of guy we needed to replace the guys we lost last year,” Phillips said.

Rivals.com ranked the receiving tandem of Carrier, Cleveland and Edwards first in the nation, but other guys have showed flashes of success. Kierre Johnson was a standout in the spring game, and track star Isaiah Sweeney add depth to a rich collection of pass catchers.

Phillips said he wished there were ways to get them all included, but he remains confident with the solid quantity of athletes.

“We’re trying to work on a special play where Case can throw with two balls. Hopefully, that will get the other guys involved,” Phillips said jokingly.

“We’ve got a great rotation of guys. They’ll fill in nicely and add to that receiving core. We should be pretty solid at that position.”

Phillips said that he is hopeful about new players contributing to the offense. When asked which newcomers to watch out for this season, Phillips said “everybody that’s new.”

Before becoming offensive coordinator, Phillips was the team’s receivers coach. He played at UH between 1987-1988 and was an All-American both seasons. Afterward he spent seven years in the NFL and two in the CFL.

Phillips said the single piece of wisdom he gives to his players is to be selfless.

“I think the only advice that I try to give them is to play hard,” he said. “One of the things I did as a player here was to come out everyday and try to represent the University the right way, try to get the best out of me and everyday and get my teammates what they deserve out of my performance.

“I think all of those guys are doing a great job at doing that.”