Monday, November 30, 2020

Administration

Board of Regents approves Khator’s raise

President Renu Khator is the first female chancellor in the UH system. | Daily Cougar File Photo

The University of Houston Board of Regents unanimously approved a $75,000 raise for President Renu Khator on August 17, her first since her three year tenure. Khator had declined being considered for a pay raise in the past.

“She has served for (almost three years) with no pay adjustment,” Regent Welcome Wilson Sr. said. “At the end of one year she declined to be considered for a raise because of the economy in January 2009.  In January 2010 she declined again because we had been unable to give raises to the faculty.”

As soon as the Regents and the UH system were able to afford faculty raises, Khator accepted one for herself.

“We were able to give raises to the faculty effective Sept. 1 this year,” Wilson said. “In the last month, I insisted that she accept a raise because her pay was out of line with her responsibility and her performance.”

Khator serves as both Chancellor and President. UH is the only system in Texas that has only one person filling both positions; all other Texas systems have separate individuals for the two positions.

“Having observed the UH leadership over six decades, I think our system is right,” Wilson said. “Her new salary is in line both within Texas and nationally.”

This pay raise increases Khator’s salary to $500,000, excluding deferred compensation.

Khator will receive an additional $200,000 of deferred compensation upon completing an additional three years with the university, Wilson said.

Khator’s accomplishments and contributions include motivating the faculty, the staff, and the students. She also hires world-class faculty members and researchers. During her term there has been an increase in both research expenditures and research awards. The graduation rate has risen by 10 percent and expenditures have decreased, while avoiding a decline in quality.

She has had outstanding hires for Provost, deans, and athletic directors, Wilson said.

“I could go on and on,” he said. “My first responsibility when I became chairman of the Regents three years ago was to hire a new president/chancellor.  Hiring her is my proudest achievement as chairman.”