Soccer

Soccer squad set for Louisana trip

The Cougars hope to build early season momentum with solid showings against Louisiana-Lafayette and McNeese State. | Aaron Cisneros/The Daily Cougar

Despite some first game jitters against Sam Houston State, the Cougars came away with a victory in their opener and are now looking to stay undefeated, heading into their weekend road trip to face the Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns and McNeese State Cowgirls.

“I think we we’re a little nervous for the Sam game because we wanted to go out and get the same result that we had against HBU, and there were a lot more people there and we wanted to impress people,” freshman Kylie Cook said. “So I think we didn’t play our best game, but we got the victory. After this week of practice, we’re much more composed and ready to play these Louisiana teams.”

The Cougars’ strategy for their two upcoming opponents focuses more on them finding their game than trying to counter any sort of style that their opposition might throw at them.

“We haven’t really talked about what their strengths and weaknesses are,” freshman Nicole Duarte said. “What we focused on most is what we need to work on, which is communication, possession, keeping the game at our feet and not so fast.”

Cook and Duarte are just two of a very talented class of freshman that should make an impact for the Cougars this season. Cook picked up her first assist of the season on the winning goal of the Cougars opening victory. Walk-on goalkeeper Chelsea Meyers shut out the Bearkats. Freshman Danielle Munoz also seems to be a fixture for the Cougars at center back, as she played all 90 minutes against the Bearkats.

“I’m excited. I think we have a great freshman class that came in,” senior Melanie Adelman said. “We’re very skillful. Every single person on our team is talented in some kind of way; there’s not one bad person. I have high hopes and we are a new team from last year.”

The Cougars should find the undefeated Ragin’ Cajuns to be a fair match on Friday night. The Cajuns finished last season 2-16-0, but have picked up victories in their first two matches for the first time in school history. The Cougars lead the all-time series between the teams 5-1. Sunday, the Cougars will travel to Cowgirl Field to face the winless Cowgirls, who lost 0-7 to Baylor in their last match.

Even with so many new faces on the Cougars’ roster, they have gelled quickly off the field, and are expecting that cohesion to start to manifesting itself more in their play.

“It’s been really refreshing coming in here and feeling that,” Cook said. “I was scared that I was going to be disrespected just because I was a freshman. It’s not like that at all; the team chemistry is really close and everyone is really good friends. I think that will show on the field as the season goes on.”