Park 51 should be a lesson to all

By now I’m sure most of you have heard of the proposal to build a community center that will house a mosque near Ground Zero. Park 51, which is located at 45 Park Place, doesn’t even have views of Ground Zero. President Barack Obama has spoken on the issue, expressing that is constitutional for a mosque to be built there.

Now, tension toward Muslims seems to be rising rapidly and dangerously. In Tennessee this past weekend, the construction equipment for a future mosque being built in the town of Murfreesboro was subject to an arson attack. When the leaders of the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro gathered to inspect the damage the following Sunday, gunshots were heard near the area.

While it is not necessarily a good idea to build a mosque on Ground Zero, or anywhere near it for that matter – simply due to the insensitivity of the matter – it is still a constitutional right for Muslims to build a mosque or community center anywhere they see fit, including Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

While tensions are currently high towards Muslims, we have to remember two things. Firstly, we are a nation that prides ourselves on freedom, including that of religion, and to deny that to Muslims goes directly against the grain of what we stand upon morally. Secondly, the Muslims that want to build a mosque in Murfreesboro, as well as the group planning to construct a community center a few blocks away from Ground Zero, are not the same radical Islamic terrorists that were responsible for the attacks on 9/11. It is neither fair nor just for anyone to portray them as a scapegoat.

The organization behind Park 51 and the organization behind the Murfeesboro community center should have the right to build a place of worship that best suits them, just as we have the right to build a place of worship that best suits us.

One issue that is not brought up in most debates about Park 51 is that the whole reason for being located on Park Place is to better suit the Muslim community of New York City. Park 51 would greatly increase the accessibility of resources through the proposed community center and included mosque.

Currently NYC is home to only two mosques, neither of which have any relation to the community associated with Park 51.

While there have been would-be terrorists striking out against the mosque, there have also been people who have tried to promote tolerance, such as the people in Murfreesboro who responded to the attacks by having a candlelight vigil outside of the courthouse. These are the people after whom we should model ourselves; those who promote peace and tolerance over violence and terrorism. If we have issues, we need to take them up in a healthy discussion.

We need to keep these things in mind, especially here at the University. We live in an eclectic city, and that includes religious communities. There are at least seventeen mosques in the Houston area alone, according to the Islamic Society of Greater Houston website, www.isgh.org.

Most importantly, we need to be mindful and tolerant of those of different religions, whether they are Christian, Muslim, or Hindu. We need to be respectful of others, as they expect us to be because they are respectful of us. The nation should take a lesson from the city of Murfreesboro, and its people who advocate that we all learn to live together peacefully.

Ian Everett is a creative writing freshman and may be reached at [email protected]

• I respectfully disagree. This country was founded because of the restraints placed on Christians wanting to get away from those that forced the Catholic religion upon them. The Muslim religion is not, in any sense, a peaceful religion, even those whom are not considered "radical" muslims are taught to hate/kill us. Whether they follow through on that, is another story. Why take the chance? Why should we harbor a "faith" that is wanting to rise up and destroy us? I whole hearted believe in freedom of religion, but I don't believe in cultivating a hateful group that is wanting us wiped off the face of this earth. Nor giving a group of people the opportunity to destroy this country and the principles which it was founded on. Why are we so tolerant? Where has our patriotism for our beloved country gone? Also where has our compassion for the families who suffered through the 9/11 tragedy which the Muslim faith encouraged? I believe they have a moral right to prevent that mosque from being built.

• I am extraordinarily curious where you have gained your knowledge of Islam (aka the "Muslim religion); I mean you write as if you have some sort of authority on the subject. Unfortunately, you obviously have no actual idea of what "the Muslim religion" entails. It is absolutely in no way a violent or hateful religion and anyone who even knows the slightest bit about Islam knows this. Every religion (even and one could say especially Christianity) has its crazy extremists, and these people in no way represent anywhere close to the majority of Muslims. And, where have you heard that "they" are taught to hate us? I mean, I'm pretty sure that many Muslims in the "Middle East" may not be particularly fond of the U.S. these days but its more than likely due to the immense damage the U.S. is and has caused in their region. It is ignorance like this that breeds hate and in all honesty its a disgusting habit of ours here in the U.S. Now, just a little FYI, I am not a believer in Islam I actually am a believer in Christianity, but any religion here in the U.S. has a constitutional right to practice, hence "freedom of religion" not freedom of secs of Christianity. Anyways, I could go on for hours but I would strongly suggest that you take a class on the subject matter, just one, before you speak as if you have a clue what you are talking about.

• Have you even read the Koran? Gosh, I thought ignorance was bliss, but it does those a disservice. I have been educated in this area. The whole foundation of their faith in hatred and murder. Talk to those women/children of this religion and you will find out how "peaceful" this religion really is. Open your eyes, Sheri. They, and even you, may claim that this is a peaceful religion, but if it quacks like a duck, and it walks like a duck…

• Well if we want to bring holy books into this little argument…

Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing.
          1 Timothy 2:11-15

Of the woman came the beginning of sin, and through her we all die.
          Ecclesiasticus 25:24

Get a clue, all religions are flawed in one way or another. Hell, your holy book is full of pornographic images.

"For she doted on their paramours, whose flesh is as the flesh of asses, and whose issue is like the issue of horses."
          Ezekiel 23:20

or if you need a translation

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

I've read the bible, Jess. Does that make me a credible voice on Christianity? No, it doesn't. For your own sake I hope you respected your parents as a child, or by the words of Leviticus 20:9, you're going to get it in the end.

Happy Hunting!

• The Bible is a sacred thing. Yes, the Bible talks about sexual sin, but it does NOT condone it and shows that there are judgement by God. Don't exactly know where you where going with that one. Look at Sampson or Abraham. Or even the passage of scripture just below the one you quoted about respecting parents. Leviticus 20:10-12. Oh, and the bible also talks about sex and condones it within marriage.
            I know I am on the traditional side of this, but I DO believe that men are in authority in a marriage and in the church. Say what you will, but that is what I believe. In a marriage- the man should be the leader, but it is also a mutual respect. The husband it not a dictator of any sort. Anyway, that was a rabbit trail. I have a feeling you were trying to bait me with that one, but that is okay.
            Religion/Bible is not flawed, we, as finite humans, are.
            The final point you made: Respecting parents. The Bible commands us to and yes, there is a promise of consequences if we do not listen. I have and do respect my parents and I do believe in what the Bible says to be true. I wonder what made you so cold to it…

• I'm sorry Jess, your entire went out the window when you said the following…
      "This country was founded because of the restraints placed on Christians wanting to get away from those that forced the Catholic religion upon them"

1. This country was founded by a group of people who were tired of taxation without representation.
      2. The Puritans, Quakers and the like that came to America? You know, over a 100 years prior to the American Revolution, were not fleeing Catholicism but the Reformed Church of England.

But hell, I'll play devil's advocate. Do you think Kareem Abdul Jabar or Muhammed Ali hate and want to kill you? They're of the Muslim faith. Assuming that you're a Christian do you apologize whenever some crazy Christian bombs an abortion clinic? Have you apologized to the Doctor's family that was murdered because he performed abortions?

• Amen to that and what about McVeigh. And who would apologies to the many Moslems that worked and died in the two towers. I will take it one more step up … Will Jess apologize to the native Americans that were slaughtered by the Christians in the process of colonizing America… Will Jess apologize on behalf of the Christians and Jews that raped Africa and its people and horded human slaves into this country… need I even take one more example … But then ignorance plus emotions make a good start for witch hunts … aaaaahhhh how history has such similarities… Wake up smell a lot of coffee …. Thank you Ian for your courage in writing this article … Kudos to those who promote tolerance

• No, it's fine that you played devil's advocate. I do apologize for the killing that has been done. I think that it is fine that people disagree. As for the bombers, instead of killing (which is wrong), how about trying to shut down the abortion clinical? We are on the same page there.
        As for Kareem and Muhammed, are they devote? If they are, then yes. I look at the foundation of the faith and how can I not?

• Jess, you are wrong. There is a story of an American priest who went to a mainly Islamic state, and every Muslim invited him in and asked him to pray with them. Actually to understand Muslims, they believe in the same god as Christians do. I've also met Muslims more patriotic than some Americans. Every Religion has its radicals. Including Christianity. That doesn't mean we should discriminate against them.

• oooh…this is a hairy subject.
    According to the Constitution, the Muslim Community has a right to build their mosque. The constitution is black and white and only addresses concrete issues. However, It does not address the conscience and mindset of certain people and their perspectives. Muslims in foreign countries have displayed Islam as a violent religion at times, have they not? I can believe that Muslims fled their country

• to come to this great nation for their own personal freedom. I also believe no one would disagree that we have nut jobs in just about every religion on this earth. Westboro Baptist Church is one that comes to my mind. They have won a case to continue protesting funerals (which in my opinion is distasteful) but the "black and white" constitution supports their cause.

• Now, having said that…the constitution may support a religious group to build their mosque, or protest funerals, or refuse blood transfusions to their beloved family members on their death beds (Jehovah's witness), but the constitution cannot wipe out the fear, anxiety, frustration, and moral upset that has developed in the hearts and minds of some people. While it is nice to believe that we should embrace peace and tolerance, there is a mindset to be undone first.

• why do non-Christians always pull out that "crusades" card?! Does almost 750 years mean nothing to you, Jess? That's how long ago the crusades were. Get current. Christians today are mostly peaceful, giving people (yes, there are whack jobs and nuts out there), but the majority of Christians follow Jesus, aka the Prince of Peace. AND, pay attention next time there's a natural disaster and you'll notice that most of the money comes from Christian giving and that people that actually go to help (on their OWN DIME) in those areas are CHRISTIANS.

• I apologize for not defining Christianity. My definition of a Christian is different. The crusades were lead by Popes, such as Urban II and Louis IV.
      In the Bible, David is defined as a man of war AND a man after God's own heart. I am probably opening up a can of worms by saying this, but there is a time and place for war. Not terrorism.

• You have overlooked that pesky way that Muslims have of putting their buildings near or on the site of what they consider military victories. Just because a person has the "right" to do a thing does not mean it is the right thing to do. It is a slap in the face to everyone who lost a loved one on 9/11. Other locations have been offered to them for this so-called community center. If the Muslims want so much to heal a breach and show themselves to be a tolerant, peaceful people, why don't they begin by respecting this site for what it is – the horrible sight of one of the most tragic terrorist acts in our nation's history. Also to call this new building a community center is misleading it will firstly be a place of Muslim prayer and worship. Muslim prayer and worship. Community doesn't come into it. A community center would welcome all faiths and even the faithless, because that is what a community consists of. I find it difficult to believe that they would welcome the infidel into this new place of worship.

• You come about the topic with an arrogant tone. Obviously based off your belief you are not a Muslim nor am i but you look at it as all Muslims being terrorists. And so say that you havent cause in your comment you said ,"It is a slap in the face to everyone who lost a loved one on 9/11. Other locations have been offered to them for this so-called community center." If there building of Park 51 is a slap to the face, your belief is a slap to the face. Your arrogant belief that Muslims should chose other locations that have been offered is just down right rude and almost distasteful to any religion. You go about this almost like a small uneducated child. Your say if a person has the right to do it, it does not mean its the right thing to do. Whats WRONG with them building it there? Nothing. They only thing that is up for debate is weither "crazed" NON-ISLAMIC people will attack and try to prevent the building of this. And your almost contradicting. IF, all muslims are terrorists which they most definetly are not, then would the NON-terrorist people attacking them also be TERRORISTS. Think to yourself before you spit out idiotical and half witted arguments.

• I bed to differ with you Ian. The Imam that is spear heading this project is far from being a moderate muslim. He is a radical muslim with a moderate hat on. This is a man that refuses to call Hamas a terrorist organization, and says that the US and its policies are to blame for 911. You call this moderate? May I inquire as to what you define as moderate? Further more we have no idea where this money for this project is coming from. What I do know is that this Imam is taking a tour through the middle east through countries like Iran, Lebanon, Syria, Etc. on OUR TAX DOLLARS to do fund raising. I am upset to say the least at how this is being handled by our politicians. Can't wait for November.

• oh really, what about the Muslims, including Salman Hamdani, a Muslim medic who lost his life assisting 9/11 victims. There were many killed on that terrible day, Muslims included. This community center does not spit, but remembers and honors them the same as a church of a synagog does.

• Just wondering if they built a church or a synagog in the same area, if these protesters and others that have a problem with the mosque would also have a problem with that. Probably not, I cannot believe how insecure and paranoid Americans have become over religion. There were many who died in 9/11, Muslims included, and remember that Muslims pray 5 times a day, so the area will be filled with prayer for the ones lost on that terrible day.

• Doubtful, RJ. Just because someone prays 5 times a day, does not make them holy. Paranoid? They bombed two buildings! I think we have reason to be paranoid.

• Why should we be tolerant toward those who want to subsume us? It would be like inviting Hitler, or Pol Pot or Stalin to become our Secretary of State.

Wherever we find Islam –Islam firmly established — we find totalitarianism, repression, and a total lack of diversity. Think Iran, Sudan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Libya, Tunisia, etc….

Islam is not so much a religion as a form of mind control; a totalitarian controlling institution that forces everyone into submission.

• Although i am not a Muslim, what you have said is down right disgusting. Have you ever been outside or read a book? All religions have that. Christians and Catholics put on Crusades brutally murdering millions in order to take back what was theres. Do you believe that is wrong? Now although i do not believe this, Muslims believe America is trying to take what is theres and they are taking it back. If you believe Muslims are so crazy then you must also upon up your blind eyes and deaf ears to blood transfusions denied to their beloved family members on their death beds (Jehovah's witness), the destruction of abortion clinics and casualties of the ones working and treated there(Christians), and if your a Christian you knwo the murder of Jesus Christ by believes of Judiasm. You are down right arrogant and almost mentally handicapped.

• jonjones wrote, "You are down right arrogant and almost mentally handicapped."

You hit the nail on the head except for getting the pronoun wrong.

The following article might help you get your facts straight, although I am not optimistic you are open to information that does not fit into your perverted understanding of religions and world history.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2005/11/the_truth_

• One commentator mentioned the Crusades as “proof” of Christianities violent nature. Shows how little we really know.

Here was the lead up to the First Crusade.

Mohammed was born. Within 400 years of his birth Islam had ruthlessly invaded and conquered:
    • All of the Middle East
    •All of North Africa
    •Large sections of Asia
    •Large areas in Europe including Spain and southern Italy.

It was only until after the Islamic barbarians continued their march northward toward Rome and toward France that the First Crusade was declared. The Crusades WERE Islam’s fault and doing, not Christianities.

When a religion’s prophet is a rapist, killer and warrior like Mohammed was it’s little surprise to find out his followers are rapists and killers too.

Thank you, Islam, for bringing us your most recent genocide, the genocide in Sudan.

• Raisa,

There are so many things wrong with the Ground Zero Mosque!! I cannot believe moderate Muslims do not speak out against it!

• You can't believe it. Really. Why don't you get a sign that says "Moderate Muslims, what is wrong with the Ground Zero Mosque?" Write that in block letters, make the sign 5 feet by 5 feet, and go stand in the UC North Patio. Report back here with your results. Let's hear what they have to say!

• 1st amendment right mam. we can say what ever we want. Unfortunately this includes burning the American flag to make a statement. The only thing I ask is that people burning the flag wrap themselves up in it first. But I digress