Activities & Organizations

Pharmacy students recognized for community service

Students from the UH College of Pharmacy recently celebrated a list of accomplishments at their annual awards ceremony.

The chapter of the Student National Pharmaceutical Association was one of three finalists for the SNPhA-Rite Aid Chauncey I. Cooper Award for their community service.

Along with the achievement of the department, several pharmacy students earned individual title recognition.

Angel Trieu was elected as Region IV facilitator — marking the second year a UH student earned the position — and won the National Pharmaceutical Association Auxiliary Scholarship.

“I feel very fortunate to have been selected an award winner, and I am very thankful to the donor of the award,” Trieu said. “I am happy to be given the chance to lead the SNPhA chapters in the South Central region of the United States. I hope I can make a difference and motivate the chapters to do their best.”

Trieu’s position includes managing nine SNPhA chapters and encouraging members to serve communities through the profession of pharmacy.

“I hope to benefit this position by encouraging more inter-university communication by implementing more technology such as video conferencing and online calendar of events,” Trieu said. “I also hope to find new chapters to start within the south central region. I also hope to have all chapters hold a diverse array of events that will include all of SNPhA’s patient care initiatives.”

International pharmacy student Odelia Bongmba was granted a scholarship that allows her travel to a conference in Anaheim, Calif. to present research she has done with assistant professor Maria V. Tejada-Simon. She will present her findings at the conference for the Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science.

“It covers everything,” Bongmba said.

She received the award from the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology Minority Access to Research Careers. This award will cover expenses including airfare, hotel stay, transportation, registration and meals. The award will also give her the chance to present her work and to also network.

“I’m very excited just to have the opportunity to present at the conference,” Bongmba said.

Another travel award was given from the International Society for Pharmacoepidemiology to Mo Yang who works with associate professor Amalia M. Issa. She will travel to Brighton, U.K. to present her work at the Annual Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology and Therapeutic Risk Management.

Other student achievements include seven scholarships awarded to pharmacy students Amy Moss, Khushbu Patel, Britney Ross, Kristen Beard, Bernadette Asias and Leshawn Smith as national president-elect.