Soccer

Soccer team set for two home weekend matches

The Cougars will have their first homestand of the season after playing back-to-back weekends on the road.

Kylie Cook (2) and the rest of the soccer team strive to regain the momentum they had in the first three games. | Aaron Cisneros/The Daily Cougar

First, the Cougars play host to Stephen F. Austin at 5 p.m. today at the Carl Lewis International Track and Field Complex. They’ll end the weekend with a match against Texas Southern at 1 p.m. Sunday at Robertson Stadium.

UH (3-1-1) is coming off a weekend in which it allowed its first goal of the season and took its first loss as well. After two hard fought games last weekend against Baylor and TCU, the Cougars are hoping to bounce back.

SFA, which boasts a 3-3 record, defeated the Cougars 1-0 in last season’s meeting in Houston. The Cougars hold a 4-2 advantage in the all-time series.

TSU (0-3) has yet to score a goal this season, but has allowed 17. The Cougars are undefeated all-time in three matches against their neighbors. In all three victories, the Cougars have won by margins of 10 or more.

Through five games last season, the Cougars were 1-4. The improvement can be attributed to the leadership of upperclassmen and the spark provided by freshmen. The Cougars scored only 14 goals all of last season, but already have notched 11 this season.

Today’s game is Fan Appreciation Night, and the first 100 fans in attendance will receive a free UH soccer T-shirt.

Those who plan to attend tonight’s football game can show their ticket and pay half price for a ticket to the soccer game. Before Sunday’s game, the players’ mothers will host a tailgate event that is open to all.