UH department sponsors suicide prevention day

The UH Counseling and Psychological Services is promoting mental health by sponsoring World Suicide Prevention Day.

Staff members will be at seven different locations across campus to pass out brochures and flyers and answer questions concerning mental health from 11 a.m.–1 p.m. today. Some locations include Cougar Place Lobby, Cougar Village Lobby, Moody Towers, the University Center and the UC Satellite.

“This event helps to dispel myths about suicide, to encourage effective suicide prevention information and to inform the campus about CAPS services,” CAPS Assistant Director/Outreach Director Kimberly James said.

The National Institute of Mental Health research shows that risk factors for suicide include depression and other mental disorders, or a substance-abuse disorder. More than 90 percent of people who take their lives have these risk factors.

Students like psychology major Mallory Barron are participating in the event for personal reasons.

“I have struggled with depression just as I’m sure many other students on campus have,” Barron said. “Everyone will receive information that will help them in some way or another.”

CAPS intends to focus on how to help students handle life’s obstacles.

“I hope they will give me advice on how I can deal with my own stressful situations,” Barron said

CAPS is available to students on any occasion and takes part in many events like this one. It holds group-counseling sessions Monday through Thursday yearlong at different times.

James said he wants everyone associated with UH to know that the event isn’t only for students who are struggling with a mental disorder.

“We want to reach the campus community, (like the) students, faculty and staff,” James said. “The community needs to be well educated on this issue.”