UH takes part in Constitution Day celebration

As the U.S. Constitution becomes a year older since its ratification more than 200 years ago, the division of Student Affairs and Academic Affairs are collaborating to celebrate Constitution Day this week.

The annual observation of this historic day will focus on informing students about the importance of this living document and its role in the U.S. government.

“I’m hoping that students will understand the meaning and importance of the Constitution, while learning fascinating facts about our Founding Fathers,” said assistant to the vice president for Student Affairs Juanita Jackson.

The celebration will run from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 23, with display tables at the University Center, UC Satellite and the Cougar Village lobby.

The division of Student Affairs will be distributing miniature copies of the U.S. Constitution and U.S. flags, as well as voter registration cards.

Political science junior Sarah Wood said she awaits Thursday’s event.

“The more students are informed about our Constitution, the better they can understand about what’s going on with the role and size of our government,” Wood said.

In addition to Thursday’s festivities, the M.D. Anderson Memorial Library will feature an exhibit in observance of Constitution Day. “The Path to the Constitution” exhibit will be on display until Oct. 1.

The exhibit will include printed copies of the Federalist Papers, along with original written documents from key figures like George Washington. The Student Video Network will also broadcast programs on the historic document throughout the week.

“It is vital that all citizens of this community, no matter their purpose, background, ethnicity or belief, become not only aware of their rights, but of how and where those rights were given,” pre-law senior Lucas Blaustein said.