Events

Red Block Bash to highlight talented, underappreciated fine arts

The UH Blaffer Student Association and the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center of the Arts will host the Red Block Bash, where students are welcome to enjoy live performances, complimentary food and drinks and participate in art activities.

The event will take place from 4 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 30, in the UH Arts Quad and the Fine Arts Building courtyard.

The student-run social gathering is free to everyone and open to the public.

The organizers hope to gather the interest of students, alumni and faculty members around campus, not just those involved in the arts.

Assistant Director of External Affairs at the Blaffer Art Museum Jeffrey Bowen said that he too often hears that most students do not even know that there is an art gallery on campus.

“The purpose is to just garner interest for the arts and Blaffer,” Bowen said. “This year, the Blaffer Student Association is presenting the Bash with the Mitchell Center, and their goal is to tie all the different art entities on campus into one package.”

Guests will get the chance to listen or watch various performances that will take place.

The student band Cirrus Minor, the UH Dance Ensemble, the Moores School Jazz Trio and guitar duo Dylan Brooks and Chris Powel are all on the line up to perform.

The event will also have a screenings of student-made videos, along with a film about Blaffer’s award winning Young Artist Apprenticeship Program in the Dudley Recital Hall.

The program offers an opportunity for 12 local teens to participate in free after-school art making and to build their skills to pursue higher education.

The UH literary journal, Glass Mountain, will present poetry readings in the Blaffer Art Museum.

“Last year they did prose readings — some were comical, some were serious. It is cool to hear creative writing within the context of art,” Bowen said.

Students will have the opportunity to sketch live models and participate in a collaborative mural.

For the mural, students will get to draw on paper that will be placed along the Fine Arts Building. There will also be raffle drawings, a scavenger hunts and prizes.

“This event is tailored for everyone, we are hoping that students of all backgrounds will come — not just the art majors or the music majors — to see what the arts quarter has to offer,” Bowen said.