Coogs search for answers after 34-31 loss to Rice

Despite overcoming a 20-point deficit at halftime, the Cougars were unable to pull out a win against Rice, losing 34-31 Saturday at Rice Stadium.

Running back Bryce Beall’s 109-yard performance was not enough to pull the Cougars through for a win Saturday. | Anthony Vasser/Rice Sports Information

A fumble on fourth-and-inches by quarterback David Piland sealed the Rice win, dropping the Cougars (3-3) to 2-1 in Conference USA, and breaking a tie with SMU — the next opponent on the team’s schedule – for first place in the West Division.

“We’ve got to be able to convert on fourth-and-inches,” running back Bryce Beall said. “We’ve to get more serious about what we’re doing. We’re taking it too lightly right now. If we want to be champions we have to play and practice like that – I don’t think we’ve been doing that so far.”

The defense allowed 27 points in the first half, but only one score in the second half with 4:24 left in the game. It proved to be just enough for the Owls. The defensive unit was able to apply pressure and hurry Rice quarterback Nick Fanuzzi, but got burnt on the go-ahead score.

“In the second half we gambled and lost on that last touchdown,” head coach Kevin Sumlin said. “The quarterback made a fine throw and catch.”

The offense was out of sync through two quarters, but showed comfort in the second half reeling off 24 unanswered points. Piland threw for 282 yards and three touchdowns – all to receiver Patrick Edwards – and one interception. Beall broke the 100-yard mark in the running game and added a touchdown.

“We operated very efficiently,” Sumlin said. “We didn’t have a lot of time of possession in the first half and the score got a little out of whack. We had some bigger plays in the running game but we had some zero yardage plays too. It was hit and miss with our 10 or 11 carries in the first half. There were plays there to be made.”

When the team reviews the game tape it will see that dropped passes, mis-tackles and unforced errors doomed Saturday’s performance. Burning two timeouts in the second half proved to be costly, when Rice took over after the fumble on fourth-and-inches only one timeout remained, allowing Rice to milk the clock.

Despite collective struggles on the field Sumlin said he felt responsible for the team’s performance.

“It’s our job as coaches to have the team ready,” Sumlin said. “We generate a lot of electricity. Starting has not been our problem. It’s something I will look at. Certainly we should have been ready to play. If we’re not ready to play that falls on me.

Beall called his teammates to action after the loss.

“We’ve got too many people here along for the ride, and not stepping up to make plays,” he said. “Everybody has to be there. Like coach said – you don’t have to be the man, you have to be a man.”