Students urged to get on bus, vote early

A coalition of organizations and UH administration will be providing shuttle services to and from an early voting location this week.

ReEnergize the Vote has joined forces with the Student Government Association, UH’s Division of Student Affairs and the Center for Student Involvement to offer this free service to students.

“We’ve done it the last several years, and it’s an effort to make sure students get the opportunity to exercise the right to vote,” Juanita Jackson, assistant to the vice president for student affairs, said. “This will be the fourth time that we have done it and it gets increasingly better each time.”

Jackson also said that any student registered in Harris County can vote in any early voting location and encourages students to take advantage of the shuttle buses.

Shuttles will be departing on a continuous loop between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m, starting today and ending Thursday, from the University Center. One bus will be in use today with a second bus added for Wednesday and Thursday operations.

“Students shouldn’t have to wait more than five to 10 minutes in either location because it’s going to be a continuous loop,” Liana Lopez, lead campus organizer for ReEnergize the Vote, said. “They’re not going to spend their time waiting for the bus, they’re going to spend it voting.”

Lopez said the time spent voting is due to the size of the ballot, and students should allot 20-30 minutes for the whole process.

ReEnergize the Vote will also have two rallies, from noon to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday.

On Wednesday, students can watch Pretentious Percussion presents: Funk and African Drumming with Phindisela Mkhatshwa, Gabriel Bata, Nick Cooper and Adam Carman at Lynn Eusan Park. On Thursday, the rally moves to the lower level of the UC, where DJ Auditory will be the musical guest.

“We’ll be tabling, getting pledges to vote and telling people about the shuttle,” Lopez said.

Lopez also said there has been good interest from students wanting to use the shuttle service, and she hopes they follow through.

• I appreciate the convenience.
    Thanks for the opportunity to "get on the bus (bandwagon)" and due to the comparative "track records," send the old "work horse" to the "glue factory"