Cougars look to build momentum against Memphis

Eight weeks into the season, the Cougars are still searching for their identity. The only sure thing about the team is its unpredictability.

True freshman quarterback David Piland (8) will make his fourth start of the season, as he gradually gains the trust of his coaches and offensive teammates. So far, he has a record of 1-2 as a starter. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

In two weeks, the Cougars (4-3, 3-1 Conference USA) lost to Rice after a furious comeback attempt and then toppled SMU to change the mood drastically.

Suddenly, this retooled team is back in contention of its main goal — capturing a C-USA championship. Developing a rhythm with a consistent lineup has the team in position to keep building momentum when they travel to Tennessee to play Memphis (1-6, 0-4 C-USA) on Saturday.

Starting anew

“The reality is, as of three weeks ago, we have a new team — a new quarterback, new defensive line, new players and new leadership,” head coach Kevin Sumlin said.

“It’s where we are right now, with a team that is trying to redefine itself. We are spending more time on ourselves in our preparation in developing who we are. With that, some players are going to have to step out of their comfort zone and be leaders in critical situations.”

Sharing the wealth

David Piland will be making his fourth start against Memphis and appears to be gaining a better grasp of the offense.

He has had the help of the one-two running back punch of Bryce Beall and Michael Hayes. The offense often ran plays featuring both backs. Sumlin said he feels the duo has a symbiotic relationship.

“These two guys are playing as well as anybody on our team right now,” he said. “They are complimentary players. I think against SMU they played hard for each other without the ball in their hand. It’s very gratifying as a coach to be able to see guys just like that in the same position that really enjoy playing the game and playing together.”

Both players have been able to offer insights to each other, giving pointers both in the film room and off the field.

“When I am on the field, Michael is my eyes off the field,” Beall said. “When he’s on the field I tell him what I see.”

Linebacker emerging

Defensively, junior college transfer Sammy Brown has turned heads with his recent play.

Brown joined the team in January after transferring from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.

Sumlin said he expects more progress from Brown the rest of the way out, and that he has set a precedent for himself with multiple noteworthy performances.

“As a junior college player midway through his first year of playing major college football, he is starting to play that way,” Sumlin said. “I think it’s about that time. I told him a week ago that he screwed up because everybody saw what he was capable of starting against Rice, and that is the expectation now. He said he is fine with that.

“He is starting to come along. He understands how to play with leverage. We understand his pass-rush ability more now — what he can and can’t do. I look for him to get better and better as the season goes on.”

The game marks the third straight time where the Cougars hope to play spoiler at their opponent’s homecoming game.

Memphis is coming off a 19-41 loss to Navy last weekend.

The Cougars are 10-9 against Memphis all-time, and 6-5 when visiting. Last season, the Cougars walloped the Tigers 55-14 at Robertson Stadium.

But UH is not taking Memphis lightly, being 0-1 against one-win teams this year.

“They’re a well-coached team,” Sumlin said. “I have a lot of respect for Terry Porter. There are a lot of guys on that staff he has put together that I have either worked with or know.”

Saturday’s game at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium starts at 6 p.m. The game will be televised exclusively on CSS, channel 129 on Comcast.

After this weekend, the next game for the Cougars is a Nov. 5 matchup with UCF at Robertson Stadium, a contest that will be nationally televised on ESPN2.