Student Government

Former SGA senator appointed to fill vacant chief justice seat

The Student Government Association recently approved and finalized plans for an official judicial branch.

At the Wednesday meeting Taylor Kilroy, a former senator for Graduate Law, was appointed chief justice of the judicial branch, which has been inactive but will now be constructed again with nine student members.

“Every good government needs a judicial branch to safeguard their constitution and make sure the government stays to its constituents,” Kilroy said.

This group will handle ethical violations and has the power to deal with them accordingly.

Kilroy said that the necessity of the recent construction of the judicial branch is due to an incident that occurred last year, which could have been ruled unconstitutional, but there was no proper way of dealing with the matter.

With only three members in the committee, SGA is currently seeking six more members.

“Since we’re rebuilding, it’s important to get a fully functioning, fully staffed judicial branch,” Kilroy explained. “Interested students should email [email protected].”

At the meeting, the SGA also approved the decision to add a University Residential Life and Housing Committee.

“It’s something that should have been done a long time ago,” biology junior John Flynt said.

Flynt, senator No. 2 for Natural Science and Mathematics, sponsored the bill.

“Students who have problems are forced to go through the housing unit,” Flynt said. “It’s shown us problems aren’t solved that way, because it hasn’t been brought to the administration.”