Activities & Organizations

Fair held to honor UH’s efforts to ‘go green’

Games, prizes and beautiful weather attracted students to Butler Plaza where University Services hosted the third

Green UH Day took over Butler Plaza between M.D. Anderson Memorial Library and Phillip Guthrie Hoffman Hall, offering passersby the chance to play games and win prizes. | Naheeda Sayeeduddin/The Daily Cougar

annual Green UH Day.

The event on Thursday celebrated UH’s efforts in going green, while promoting various programs on and off campus that encouraged students to live a more sustainable lifestyle.

“(We want everyone to know) that UH is green, and we’re trying to really be there for the students and help them understand how important it is to go green and just to have fun,” marketing coordinator for University Services Loraine Crutchfield said.

Students made their way down the plaza playing games and visiting booths, all while learning about what they can do to help the environment.

“There’s more to it than just changing the way you live your daily life as far as recycling and changing light bulbs,” theatre freshman Domonique Champion said. “I tell people to feel free to do some research if that’s something you see yourself doing. I know I did mine, and I’m glad at how I turned out today.”

Champion is a member of the University Services auxiliary team, and he volunteered his time to help man the giant horseshoe game.

“When I first got this job, I wasn’t really big on going green. But after sitting down and talking with my boss, I started taking the initiative towards going green by changing my light bulbs to fluorescent and by recycling. This is all for a good cause and I’m proud to be a part of this,” he said.

Student volunteers spent weeks to make each game out of recyclable material.

Students who participated won tickets for playing games and traded those tickets for prizes at the prize booth.

Biology freshman Samantha Joseph took advantage of her break time to enjoy the weather and the games and even got her face painted at the Green IT booth.

“It’s a lot of fun. It’s a great day. It feels good outside,” she said.

In the afternoon, students in the plaza witnessed a traditional weather balloon launch.

“We’re measuring the vertical profile of ozone in the atmosphere and we’re also looking at wind speed, wind direction, temperature and pressure,” assistant professor of atmospheric science Barry Lefer said. “We hope to get a better understanding of the types of conditions that result in air pollution events.”

The city of Houston and companies like Coca-Cola were invited to come out and promote their programs and speak with students.

“We just want an opportunity to interact with the students, talk a little bit about what we do, not only here at the University, but what we’re doing corporately to help promote a greener environment,” account executive for Coca Cola Marci Carnes said.

Other sponsors included Honest Tea, Connect by Hertz and Proctor & Gamble.

Carnes commends UH for its green efforts.

“I can tell you that (UH) is doing a really good job. It’s a very green campus, and the students are really engaged. I think we’re getting a great response.”