Departments, student organizations make pitch to SFAC

University departments and student organizations met with the Student Fees Advisory Committee on Tuesday to discuss budgets for the 2011-2012 fiscal year.

The committee is comprised of 10 members: seven students, two faculty members and one non-voting advisor. The four-day-long session continues today, Friday and Monday.

Each group seeking funds sends a representative to present and pitch their budget request.

Most departments and organizations have requested more student funding than last year, and it’s more than likely due to budget cuts.

The Dean of Students Office asked for $943,707, the largest increase for the day from last year.

The reason for the increase is the New Student Orientation Program, originally developed in 1986 and supervised by staff in the Dean of Students Office since its inception. It was transferred to the Enrollment Services unit in the Academic Affairs Division.  The group contended that this move resulted in the loss of $510,000 in annual income for the Dean of Students Office.

The Center for Student Involvement asked for $681,341 — which is about $40,000 more than last year’s approved budget.

CSI Director Marcella Leung said that her organization does a lot of programming and events, so the main objective for funding is to get students connected with the University through the webpage.

“We want to be an electronic handbook,” she said.

The University Center asked for $1,428,180. Its officials intend to enhance or modify retail services.

“We want to keep students coming and make them feel like this is their living room,” said Keith T. Kowalka, assistant vice president for student development.

Two of the student-run organizations, Student Video Network and the Student Program Board, also asked for more than last year.

The A.D. Bruce Religion Center is requesting student fees funds this year for utility costs not covered by the endowment from the Rockwell Foundation. The center asked for $34,991.

According to its presentation, fluctuations over the years is due to space limitations during past renovations/facility repairs, rental fee fluctuations, changes with the economy and more recently changes with the financial markets.

A group that requested less than last year is the Student Government Association. It asked for $130,573.

SGA’s presentation and the SFAC website said that the organization had “$8299.18 in fund equity for the FY2010. The major portion is from lapsed salary.”

As for the funding, $7,465 will go toward computer upgrades and the purchase of a digital projector. There are no external funds for SGA except student fees.

“A computer is one of our No. 1 requirements,” SGA President Prince Wilson said. “It will definitely affect us if we are not given the funding.”