Movies

‘For Colored Girls’ not the best movie at the box office

“For Colored Girls” isn’t your average Tyler Perry movie. The characters aren’t funny — they’re grounded in reality — and reality is harsh for these women.

Loretta Devine plays Juanita in the film, who is one of the few characters with a somewhat happy storyline. The movie, which was written and directed by Tyler Perry, doesn’t do the stage play justice. | LionsGate Films

From date-rape to abortion, the movie is definitely not a pick-me-up, but then again it isn’t trying to be — it’s trying to raise awareness of some tough issues facing black women today.

Loretta Devine, who plays Juanita in the film, says that one of the movie’s main goals is to expose things people don’t normally discuss.

“I know that there’s so much tragedy in it, but the poems are rooted in tragedy — so there’s no way around that,” Devine said. “I think a lot of women will be able to identify with things that are happening in the piece; they’ll go, ‘Oh, god, that’s my mother, or my sister,’ or, ‘No, that’s me,’ and sometimes a wake-up call is good.”

The movie, which is based on the play “For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf” by Ntozake Shange, doesn’t always do the source material justice; it sags in some parts, and sometimes falls apart altogether.

But — for the most part — the movie does a decent job of keeping the viewer flowing through the numerous different women’s storylines.

All the actresses did a great job with their lines (especially Divine and Janet Jackson) but the script, which was penned by Tyler Perry, lacks the punch of Ntozake Shange’s poetry.

“He (Tyler Perry) didn’t want to tear into the poetry, so he created the atmosphere around it,” Devine said.

And that’s the main problem with the movie. The characters are well thought-out, and most are dramatized well, but the movie caters to the poetry too much. The scenes go from a dramatic situation to a poetic interlude without rhyme or reason (no pun intended) and it takes away from what happened just a moment before.

It’s a mix-mash of poetry and film — not a blend — and ultimately it breaks the mood of some scenes in half, leaving the viewers wondering exactly what is going on.

But that’s not anyone’s fault but Tyler Perry’s, who wrote and directed “For Colored Girls.” And even though he didn’t do a good job with the script, he did film it well — the movie has some scenes that are almost impossible to watch because you’re wondering exactly what’s going to happen.

The camerawork is great, too; the viewer knows exactly where he or she is in time and place.

But even if the viewer knows where they are, they don’t always know why.

Some of the characters — like Thandie Newton’s Tangie — don’t seem to have any motivation behind their actions; she seemed to float around on-screen, jumping from one situation to the next. There was never any connection between her and the viewer — just a vague sense of what the character should be.

And Whoopi Goldberg’s character was the same way; perhaps that’s just her acting, but it was very hard to take her seriously.

At Goldberg’s dramatic climax, it seemed like she was just going through the motions, not caring to make the viewer feel anything at all.

Devine, however, took her time on camera seriously. For her, filming the movie was about embodying her character’s color — each of the main characters portray a different color — and Juanita’s is green, the color of charity.

“She’s a very giving woman, that’s why her color is green. I think that’s exactly why she’s in the predicament that she’s in, because she doesn’t know how to cut things off that are bad,” she said. “I really liked Juanita, which helps sometimes when you’re playing a character.”

Unfortunately, the color “For Colored Girls” gives off is gray, the color of mediocrity.

There are scenes that are absolutely great, but they’re sandwiched between too many lackluster ones to make much of a difference. Tyler Perry should learn his lesson and stick to writing comedies, not reimagining stage plays.

The film is a nice attempt at adapting a powerful play for the big screen — but in the end that’s all it is, an attempt.

• I strongly disagree with the authors critique. The movie was fantastic! It's the only movie I've ever wanted to see twice– immediately afterwards.

• This movie was very powerful. Especially Devine and Jackson, and most of the cast. Sorry but I really Loved it!

• I disagree with you, Jack Wehman, on many levels. Although I was a skeptic going in – on how Tyler Perry could pull such an iconic work off on screen, he did it – and beautifully. I would ask if you were ever assigned to read the Ntozake Shange choreopoem in college? Have you seen the stage play? Discussed it with THINKing women. Perhaps if that had been a part of your intellectual history – you'd have left the film with a different – TAKE. I'm just SAYIN'.

• I really enjoyed the movie… very well done and very real…. thank you Tyler Perry for telling our story.

• Thus the name For Colored Girls, who considered suicide, it's supposed to be dark, ugly and show all the complexities and trials of life, why all the negative comments, I feel Tyler did the best job of portraying what these women went through, and made you see/feel some of what some of us have gone through and the growth and support of each other that can help pull us through. Come away with the feelings that he tried to do this instead of all the negativity….i.e everyone trying to be an expert on the acting, screenplay, what do you go to the movies for to degrade the movie or come away with something that you can carry off into your daily living that's useful to others. With the time allotted I feel the movie told the story….great job……

• I strongly disagree with the reviewer jack, he was clueless. The movie was powerful and excellent. The poetry was needed and the actors played their parts! They deserve awards for these performances! kudos to Tyler Perry with blending everything.

We can not rely on reviews,. because they will always discriminate when it comes to Tyler PErry or an all black cast. God gives us the positive.

• Although the cast was great…..TP does need to held accountable for bing better with each movie though…..just saying

• i disagree with this critic………..AMAZING MOVIE…….the poetic lines went well with the part tht was occuring at the time! GREAT CAST, GREAT STORY LINE, GREAT ACTING……EVERYTHING WAS BEYOND BRILLIANT……..CANT WAIT TO SEE IT AGAIN AND AGAIN……EXCELLENT JOB TYLER PERRY! i loved it….had me crying the whole movie…LOVED IT….point blank period!!!!

• This movie was one of Tyler's best work so far. The movie was raw and real and I became each character and lived her hell as she went through it. The play was dark so the movie had to be. Movie critics ruin the movie industry. The movie should be judged by the individual viewers, not some pompous stiff with no personality. And to have the audacity to tell him to stay in his place and not broaden his horizons???? Who do you think you are?

• I've read a couple of reviews that talk about how Tyler Perry's insertion of the poetry did not flow well with the dramatic scenes. For me, even though the transition did not seem smooth at times, the way it was done really captured the attention of the audience. It caused you to focus on what the actress was saying. It was powerful. There were times in the movie theatre when people were laughing at what I thought were inappropriate times but when those poems were spoken, there was not a sound in the theatre. I think this movie was probably a catalyst for healing for many people. Maybe critics are not taking into consideration that many of the people who saw the movie have never seen let alone even heard of the play.

• Once again someone who does not understand the culture making comments. I think that Tyler Perry did a great job with the movie and brought together issues that plague our community.

You can bet that Hollywood would have never produced this movie. Thank goodness we have a Tyler Perry that cares enough to make it. It might saves some lives.

• I really liked the movie. The poetry although powerful and beautiful, was a bit distracting at times, but it had to be a part of this film. I missed the play when it was out. The acting in the film was superb. There were a lot of tears in the theater. "For Colored Girls" was for every girl. Many women could identify with the characters.

• I too, disagree with Jack Wehman whom I'm sure never expierenced any of these issues. It's not just for colored girls, but for all women. The movie and the poetry incorportated the perfect blend resulting in a gripping performances from all the actresses. I was sitting at the edge of my seat tissue in hand, glued to every word in awe. Well done Mr. Perry, well done!

• What movie did Jack see….obviously not "For Colored Girls" because it was so touching and moving. This movie is for all women of all races and for men to better understand what women endure and go through. The poetry was amazing. My theatre was packed with men, women, black, white or purple and green and we cried and we cheered. Everyone who participated in this film showed up and delivered an outstanding performance…a performance they can take deep deep pride in. Way to deliver Tyler. Jack see the movie again with an open compassionate heart.

• I completely disagree this article, I was really skeptical hearing Tyler Perry was doing a film on For Colored Girls, even though he cast phenominal actors, I wasnt to sure if he could pull this off and stay true to Ntozake Shange work. Gladly, I was wrong. Not only was the acting execptional… the editing, camera work, and keeping the original essence of the play is very important. Tyler stayed true the essence of it and that's what is most admirable.

Note to Jack: You should consider actually reading and going to see the play before you make another critique of something to this nature……

• First I would like to say that Tyler Perry is not a representative of "our culture". That being said, you don't have to identify with anyone's culture to enjoy or critique a movie. I enjoy Asian films a lot. And I probably laugh at all the wrong places too. But entertainment is entertainment. I will not applaud Tyler Perry for making a better film than his last, I would applaud his films should should they stand up to the best in the business. His film school approach to movie making is not impressive. I found the review to be an honest observation of the Movie. Not "Our Culture". I will not lower my standards for enjoying or rating a film because a Black guy wrote it. African American people are so talented in so many ways, I expect to see the best of the best on screen. That is not true of this movie. It is not the best of 'us'… It is the Best that Tyler Perry can give.

• I WATCHED THE MOVIE AND THOUGHT TYLER PERRY DID A FANTASTIC JOB WITH IT.THERE IS ONE CHARATER THAT I HOPE WILL BE UP FOR AWARDS.THE MOTHER OF THE TWO CHILDREN,WOW SHE WAS AWESOME.ONLY THIG I THOUGHT COULD HAVE BEEN CHANGED IS THE RAPE SCENE,IT WENT BACK AND FORTH ON IT TOO MUCH.I THOUGHT IT SHOULD HAVE SHOWN THE RAPE ONCE AND LEFT IT TO THE VIEWERS IMAGINATION.OVERALL,IT GET A 4 AND A HALF STARS.

• First of all, please turn off caps lock. No one pays more attention when the letters are bigger. Secondly, this isn't your review, no one is interested in hearing how many stars a Tyler Perry movie got from you, nor is anyone interested in Tyler Perry except the 20 people that have posted on this story. If this is one of your favorite movies, go watch some real film and you'll change your mind. Tyler Perry has been ruining comedy for a decade and now he wants to redeem himself. I say let him drown in the misery and karma of making crappy movies all his life. All of you who comment about how terrible and biased this writing is, you don't understand what a movie review is. It's not just a feeling that this dude gets when he watches a movie. He doesn't finish watching a movie and just put a thumb down or up. You're telling him to read the background material, watch the play, all this other research. If you have to do that much research and learn the entire background and context of a movie to enjoy it, then that movie cannot be a quality film on it's own. There are plenty of movies with cool source material that don't require you to sit down and read a novel to understand the brilliance of the plot (ie. LOTR). Point being, i'm sorry to see that there are so many of us here at UH that seem to worship the god of stereotype exploitation, you're not helping society towards social equality by supporting this director, but it's your choice. Enjoy watching terrible movies for the rest of your life.

• I thought the film was poweful and excellently done. The characters were played magnificently. This body of work also displayed just how talented Tyler Perry really is.

• Great Movie Tyler! The review above just doesn't make sense. For colored girls was as good as it could be. I felt the emotions. What more?