Music

Local blues legend gets historical marker

On Saturday morning, hundreds of sleepy, music-loving Houstonians dragged themselves out of bed — aided by cups of coffee and plenty of cigarettes — to witness a benchmark achievement for Houston culture: a marker

(From left) Eric Davis, Johnny Brown and Milton Hopkins were all smiles Saturday when a historical marker honoring Milton's cousin and local blues legend, Sam Hopkins, was unveiled. | Matthew Keever/The Daily Cougar

honoring the legendary Sam “Lightnin’” Hopkins was erected in Third Ward.

It’s the first marker of its kind, and Houstonians far and wide are excited. The enthusiasm stems not only from the much-deserved reverence to Hopkins — though his was the most significant one — but the idea that ground has been broken in the city of Houston honoring and recognizing music.

“His music is life…everyday life,” Hopkins’ cousin Milton said. “Any time you hear a Lightnin’ Hopkins song, you can rest assured (that) it’s true.”

Before this event in his adopted hometown of Houston, there was nothing to show Hopkins’ contributions, accomplishments or record of his life. His albums are available in stores and his name is constantly brought up in the underground music scene, but there were no markers — other than his modest gravesite — anywhere in the city.

Driven by this fact, local blues enthusiast Eric Davis filed the paperwork for the marker a little more than a year ago, hoping that with the help of fellow music lovers, he might be able to bring about a cultural shift in Houston, one that would swing toward the appreciation of music and other arts.

With the help of House of Blues, Live Nation, Project Row Houses and the Houston Blues Society, he did it.

“It was just time for someone to remember what he gave, not only Houston and Texas but the world,” Davis said.

In the 1960s, Hopkins traveled through Europe and even played at Carnegie Hall. But no matter how influential and renowned he became, Lightnin’ always considered Houston his home.

“I think it’s a shame that we have let such important contributions to the cultural fabric of Houston, Texas and beyond go to the wayside,” Davis said.

But as of Saturday, the idea of honoring a musician with a monument in the city of Houston is no longer a distant vision. Hopefully this marker will be the first of many.

Hopkins, who died of esophagus cancer in 1982, was buried in Forest Park Cemetery here in Houston. More than 4,000 family members, friends, fans and other musicians attended.

In comparison, Saturday’s event was meek, but its lasting effects will surely resonate throughout the city for years to come.

The marker is just minutes away from the UH campus, and it’s a monument to soul of Houston. Are we a git’r’done kind of city? Absolutely. We’re not without a heartbeat, though.

But don’t take my word for it — listen to any of Hopkins’ recordings and you’ll feel it.

• Great article about an important Houstonian who loved Houston and had much to say and much to sing about.

Somehow back in the 1950's Mr. Hopkins cobbled together a Blues sound that was part country and part Blues so that everyone regardless of race would at least listen to what he had to say. That seems like a nearly impossible task. Perhaps someday the music scholars at UH will tell us how he did that.

Mr. Hopkins is also one of the greatest guitarist to ever live according to Rolling Stone Magazine. Eric Clapton says he is able to ID Hopkins within a few seconds of listening to one of Hopkins' recordings. John Mayer and BB King agree.

Hopefully the plaque and ceremony for Mr. Hopkins is just the beginnings of an organized effort to honor those musicians who help make the music scene in Houston what it is today.

• From the Article:
      The marker is just minutes away from the UH campus in the Third Ward.

From the Invitation:
      The Lightnin' Hopkins Marker Fund and The Harris County Historical Commission
      Cordially invite you to attend a dedication of the
      Sam "Lightnin'" Hopkins
      Official Texas Historical Marker
      At Dowling and Francis Streets
      In Houston's Historic Third Ward
      3400 Block Dowling Street, Houston 77004

• Thanks. I didn't see the invitation info in the article. Thanks for adding that.
        The article was a TAD generic on the location.

I'll have to go check it out in person. I like history and blues, so this is just down my alley.

• It was a truly momentous day for the Blues and the city of Houston! The marker in the historic Third Ward is located at the corner of Dowling and Francis 2 blocks south of Elgin. Help continue the push to properly immortalize the greats of Houston Blues by joining The Houston Blues Society ( wwww.houstonbluessociety.org). When you do you will receive the coolest Blues society t-shirt in the world with the HBS logo with Lightnin's image!

• Boyd …for your members. This is from Lisa Gray :: Re: Ringo Starr

Among the joys of the new anthology LITERARY HOUSTON is this excerpt from an interview with Ringo Starr.

Q: Lastly, when you were growing up, as a teenager, you were planning to move to Texas?

A: Yeah, I was trying to immigrate to Houston, Texas, because Lightnin' Hopkins, the blues player, lived there. I'm still into blues, and Lightnin…' is still my hero. I was working in a factory at the time and so was my friend, and we were looking for factory jobs. We had no real qualifications for anything else.

Reference for Literary Houston:
    http://www.amazon.com/Literary-Houston-Cities-Dav

• Gary, Thank you so much! We know Ringo was far from being alone in finding inspiration from Mr. Hopkins. But the excerpt you cited just helps further validate that. So Lightnin' almost screwed up the entire British Invasion thing?!? Ha!!