Movies

‘Harry Potter’ charms muggle nations

The first of the two-part-final installment of the Harry Potter movies opened Friday and topped the weekend box office, bringing in an astonishing $330 million worldwide, according to the New York Times.

David Yates, who also directed the fifth and sixth installments, delivered a superb screen adaptation of the first half of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” In contrast with previous Harry Potter movies, this one does a decent job of giving its written counterpart justice. With a well-adapted screenplay by Steve Kloves, the movie successfully captures the key plot elements of the book — that which others have not (especially Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.)

It is important to note that this film stays truer to the book than any of the others have. It focuses more on the hunt for horcruxes than the element of romance — which often leaves significantly more important storylines on the backburner because, as we all know, sex sells. They also manage to include important characters and events that previous movies have mistakenly left out.

Cinematographer Eduardo Serra did a fabulous job in capturing the essence of J.K. Rowling’s work. Visually, this film is significantly grimmer than those of previous movies; it is shot entirely in dismal, muted tones, which is a great contrast from the bright, cheerful colors we’ve seen in the past. The animation — yes, for the few of you who have yet to see the Deathly Hallows, there is an animated segment in the film — is absolutely phenomenal and is arguably the most memorable part in the movie.

As usual, cast members Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint nailed their roles as the magical trio.

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One” is arguably the best film yet. It ends at the perfect moment, setting the second part of the seventh movie up to be (for lack of better words) extremely epic.

All we can say is that July can’t come soon enough.