City

UH students drawn to protest against Federal Reserve

UH students were among the 200 Houstonians in attendance at the 3rd annual End the Fed Rally.

Saturday’s rally was positioned across the street from the Federal Reserve Building, located on Allen Parkway.

The rally cry of “End the Fed!” could be heard throughout Eleanor Tinsley Park.

“We came out today hoping to bring awareness to the issue,” journalism junior Allen Henson said. “The Federal Reserve is ineffective and unconstitutional.”

Former Texas gubernatorial candidate Debra Medina was the keynote speaker; other speakers included chairman of the Houston Area Liberty Campaign Al Jameson and Ken Hoover from the John Birch Society.

“The Federal Reserve is a private entity of select bankers who are given the freedom to manipulate our currency as they see fit,” political science junior Tamara Zalud said. “They are bringing America to its knees.”

Congressional candidate Steve Susman equated Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke to a ring leader of a crime syndicate.

“After the failure of its many economic policies, it should be blindingly obvious that our government has been high-jacked, and our newly elected officials are willing players in this giant Ponzi scheme,” Susman said.

Political science major Kyle Young expressed his dissatisfaction with not only the elected officials but also the general public.

“Nobody gets it,” said Young. “It’s not a matter of liberal or conservative, it’s a matter of right and wrong.”

The jogging trail and busy thoroughfare allowed for an assortment of curious onlookers. Attendees welcomed them, provided information and answered questions.

The event ended with a raffle of silver coins and the rallying cry of “End the Fed!”