Administration

UH considers budget cuts for holiday season

Cutbacks have been made continuously by universities throughout the recent economic crisis. This year, the state of Texas reduced its revenue, leaving its public universities, including UH, with less money.

“Last year, the University was required to reduce our budget by 5 percent, which we tried to do strategically, with a maximum of reform and a minimum of brute force,” Provost John Antel and Executive Vice President Carl Carlucci said in a joint e-mail sent to all UH faculty and staff.

As the holiday season approaches, UH has installed a different policy regarding festivities because of the budget cuts. Carlucci and Antel have asked faculty and staff to remember those who had to leave the University and the possibility of future lay-offs.

“Our wish is not to abandon our traditions or the holiday spirit, but to celebrate in a manner that respects this circumstance,” the e-mail said. “With this in mind, we want to caution against holiday celebrations or events funded from university sources. Celebrations of the season supported by our own contributions are not a problem.”

They discouraged any large or lavish celebrations or off-campus celebrations, and said the University will not support it.

Antel and Carlucci requested that any events be approved beforehand to make sure that it is not a ‘large or lavish’ one. In order to properly do so, a form called Addendum A is available through the UH events policy page.

“We can expect to see a similar letter for the new reduction shortly,” Carlucci said. “We will post it when it arrives, but until then, we have no details as (to) the size and duration of the reduction.”

Carlucci also said that Chancellor and UH President Renu Khator has been soliciting cost-saving ideas for the UH campus, which have been posted on her website.

Download a PDF of Addendum A.

• "Carlucci also said that Chancellor and UH President Renu Khator has been soliciting cost-saving ideas for the UH campus, which have been posted on her website."

Really? Are you serious? LOL. Okay, how about, not spending almost $10 million on a fifth radio station, when UH already has one FM and three HD stations? It seems to me UH's leadership is not thinking. Houston is better servied with KTRU kept on the FM dial.