Women's Basketball

UH set for road duel with Knights

The Cougars look to make it seven in a row in conference play as they get ready to take on UCF today on the road.

The Cougars (15-4, 6-0 Conference USA) and the Knights (11-8, 4-2 C-USA) split their series 3-3, with the Knights taking the win in the last two contests. Their last matchup was Feb. 20, 2010, when Porsche Landry recorded her season-high 22 points, but resulted in a 78-66 Cougar loss.

The Cougars will have to combat a rising UCF squad. The Knights are on a hot start, tallying six wins in their last eight contests.

The Knights have been dominant at home with an 8-1 record. They rank fifth in scoring at 68.7 points per game and defensively they allow 61.9 points per contest.

They are lead by D’Nay Daniels who ranks seventh in the league with 14.7 points per game and a league-leading 4.0 offensive rebounds per game.

Courtney Taylor has been leading the Cougars by putting up impressive statistics.

She is leading C-USA in rebounding, and ranks seventh nationally, with 11.6 rebounds per game. With 12 double-doubles she ranks fourth in the nation.

Seniors dominating

Taylor is also third in the league in scoring, with 16.3 points per game.

Brittney Scott is not far behind and is currently the fifth-best scorer with 15.6 points per game. Scott is also fourth in C-USA in 3-point percentage at 41.1 percent.

Flurry of scoring

UH is currently the league-leading offense with 74.8 points per game.

The Cougars are also showing a ferocious effort on the boards, averaging 43.6 rebounds per contest.

Their field goal percentage defense is also first in the league at 37.7 percent, second in scoring margin at 8.2 and blocked shots at 4.7 blocks per game.

Tonight’s game tips off at 6 p.m. at UCF Arena in Orlando, Fla.

The Cougars will return home to play SMU at 2 p.m. Sunday at Hofheinz Pavilion.

Afterward they will get a week off before their next home game Feb. 6 against the Tulane Green Wave.