Health

Not always a sunny side to breakfast

Instead of stopping for a McGriddle in the morning, opt for foods low in fat like fresh fruit or oatmeal to start your day in a healthy way.  | Wikimedia Commons

Instead of stopping for a McGriddle in the morning, opt for foods low in fat like fresh fruit or oatmeal to start your day in a healthy way. | Wikimedia Commons

It’s not easy making breakfast an enjoyable, delicious and nutritious part of every day, but everyone has to do it.

Most of us treat breakfast as the slow-me-down meal of the day instead of giving it the attention it deserves. Some skip it while others abuse the freedom to eat it by getting full for breakfast, but starving the body of nutrients. Our taste buds have fallen victim to the on-the-go sugary donuts and butter-drenched pastries that get our stomachs packed with glucose-filled glee, without considering the long-term detrimental effects it has on our bodies.

The typical fast food breakfast is high in fat, calories and sodium which can lead to heart complications in the future. And if that doesn’t catch your attention, maybe this will: skipping breakfast will not make you thinner. Research shows that eating breakfast helps maintain a healthy weight. Not eating in the morning can mean that you are overeating during the day or night.

According to a 2008 Harvard University study, eating breakfast, especially one that includes whole grains found in cereal and oatmeal, reduces your risk for heart attack, stroke, type 2 diabetes and heart failure. Other studies have also shown that eating breakfast instead of skipping it makes for smaller rises in blood pressure.

An ignored breakfast can be the difference between the student who makes an A on a pop quiz and the student who slumps down in the chair covering their score in embarrassment. Those who skip out miss an opportunity to use breakfast as a tool to charge the body and stimulate the mind, providing energy needed to function during the day.

So Cougars, surrender your cinnamon buns and microwaveable sausage biscuits, your early morning fatty diet is under arrest.

Breakfast of Champs

A little planning goes a long way toward a healthy start. If you don’t have time for breakfast in the morning, make time to prepare for breakfast at night. Break out that blender you’ve been using for margaritas and amalgamate all your favorite fruits and yogurts into a to-go cup, let it sit in the refrigerator overnight so you can wake up and drink your breakfast on the go. FYI, you can never go wrong with fruit for breakfast. Find ways to fix a breakfast at night so it will be ready and waiting for you in the morning.

Fly by the drive-thrus

Commuters who pass by McDonald’s, Sonic, Burger King and other tempting restaurants might want to keep driving. Fast food is an easy way to get a quick breakfast fix, but it can be an unhealthy way to start the morning depending on what you order. Calorie-rich foods can make consumers lethargic and weigh you down. Restaurants have changed their menus tremendously to better serve healthy consumers, but temptation to order other menu items can be hard to overcome. So it might be best to just say “no” to fast food mornings. Take an alternate route and choose the sunnier side of breakfast that can be found at your local grocery store.

An egg-cellent alternative

Sunny-side up or scrambled, eggs are a tasty and healthy way to start the morning. Eggs are a rich source of protein and can be incorporated into your breakfast by making an omelet. The way I like to make them is by mixing two eggs, tomatoes, peppers, onions with a sprinkle of low-fat cheese to top it off. Asparagus sets the meal off perfectly as a side dish.

Healthy cereal, they’re “great”

I know Frosted Flakes are “great,” but hot cereal is better. Oatmeal is rich in fiber, which helps you feel full longer. The best part about oatmeal is that it’s healthy and can be very tasty when mixed with the right ingredients. Add a dab of honey to combat allergies. You could also add apples, a small drizzle of jelly and a sprinkle of raisins on top.

• Check the "123 Get Samples" to find out where you can get the newest free samples. Every day you'll find out how to get the best free samples sent straight to your mailbox.