Tennis

UH looking to build momentum at home

The Cougars will try to establish their second win streak of the season when they take the court this weekend.

After dropping their debut, the Cougars have won two of their last three matches.

“The only way we can measure success is with wins,” head coach John Severance said. “We’ve only got one job, to do and that’s win matches and we’re expecting to win all three games this weekend.”

The Cougars two losses this year have come against skilled teams in No. 3 Baylor and No. 48 Rice.

Severance said he wants the team to gel as a unit. Instead of stressing on each individual matchup, he said the team will try to focus on treating the weekend as a whole.

“I don’t care how it gets done,” Severance said. “But I want a W.”

Saturday’s matchup against Texas State will prove to be a difficult one as the Bobcats are in contention for the Southland Conference Championship.

The game will mark the first of the season for the Bobcats after having their previous matches cancelled due to weather implications.

Sunday’s competition against UTEP is a conference match, and could be the most important of the three.

Severance said the Cougars play more comfortably on their home court and hopes it will benefit their performance.

“We’re accustomed and used to playing at home,” Severance said.

“We take that to our advantage and so far this year we’ve had a pretty good turnout.”

The Cougars (3-2) will take on UT-Pan American at 2 p.m. Friday, and continue play at noon Saturday against Texas State.

The Cougars will cap the action Sunday at 11 a.m. against Conference USA opponent UTEP. All games will be played at John E. Hoff Courts.

After this weekend’s slate of matches, the Cougars will travel to Monroe, Louis. on the 19th to take on Lousiana-Monroe.