Men's Basketball

Cougars searching for cure to end skid

In the midst of a five-game losing streak the Cougars return home looking for answers. UH will take on the Tulane Green Wave on Saturday at home, in what equates to a must-win game if the Cougars want to become a threat in Conference USA.

The Cougars (11-11, 3-6 C-USA) have struggled as of late, giving away late leads. Four of the five losses were by margins of five points or less.

Senior guard Adam Brown — who leads the team with 14.1 points per game — said the team must crank up the intensity in the closing minutes.

“I think we’re playing great basketball,” Brown said. “We just have to finish out. I feel like we can compete with all the teams in our conference but we just have to focus our attention on the end of the game.”

Tulane (12-11, 2-8) can perhaps relate to the Cougars’ struggle. Going 10-3 against non-conference opponents and posting wins in its first two conference games, the Green Wave looked to be a serious contender in C-USA earlier in the season.

The Wave’s strong start is now a distant memory, as its production has dropped drastically since then. Tulane comes into Saturday’s matchup riding an eight-game losing streak.

The Cougars, however, know that a victory Saturday will not come easily.

Senior forward Maurice McNeil said it would be a mistake to underestimate Tulane.

“They’re going to be hungry too,” McNeil said.

“We’re going to have to make them match our energy.”

The game starts at 4 p.m. Saturday at Hofheinz Pavilion. The game will be broadcast on 790 AM KBME.