Crime

Patrols increase after robbery; vehicle burglaries on the rise

Campus police have stepped up patrols around Farish Hall in an effort to prevent any further incidents following an aggravated robbery last week.

Last week, a student was approached from behind and robbed at knifepoint in an exterior restroom in Farish Hall.

“We’ve adjusted our patrol patterns in order to more effectively deter crime,” UHPD Lt. Brett Collier said. “We try to be seen so people know that we’re accessible.”

After the incident, an email circulated to all UH staff and students notifying them and providing tips on how to stay safe on campus.

UHPD officers are the first responders to any crimes reported on campus. Most crimes range from theft to disorderly conduct, with violent crime being a rare occurrence.

The department has made efforts in increasing visibility by having officers patrol on foot, bicycles and golf carts, and by wearing high visibility uniforms with bright colors.

Theft and vandalism are common crimes reported to UH police. Collier advises anyone with valuable property to get it registered with the University of Houston Department of Public Safety and never leave it unattended.

Most students at UH commute and park their cars in one of the parking lots that outline the campus.

Chemistry senior Ty Tsai was the victim of vandalism when his car was keyed four years ago in one of the economy parking lots.

“I reported it to the police and they said they would look into it, but no one was ever caught,” Tsai said.

This month, there have been several instances of motor vehicle burglaries in UH parking lots. Increased lighting and emergency call boxes have been added in order to report crimes or emergencies. The pressing of the call box button connects directly to a police dispatcher.

The presence of officers on campus during the evening is important for Tsai, who has a Wednesday class that gets out at 9 p.m.

“There’s always a police car waiting outside the building when I get out of class,” Tsai said. “Plus, me and my friend walk together to the parking garage to stay safe.”

In addition to increasing presence patrols, UHDPS offers crime prevention courses free of charge.

For more information, visit www.uhdps.edu/police/report_a_crime.html.

• There is hardly any officers patrolling the campus of UH. The only "officer" I see is some fat ethnic woman who stands by the Rec Center and directs traffic.

With a school so large and situated in the middle of a violent ghetto, you would think there would be more police officers on patrol keeping students safe…but no.

UT is much larger than UH yet it has an on-campus police department and officers patrol the campus day and night.

• You want to bet that the area surrounding is a violent ghetto? The crime rate is high and not to mention there are people who infest UH who come from this area trying to get money from students or food.

Getting rid of the ghettos and making UH cleaner would be a plus for the school and would attract more students.

• "trying to get money from students or food"

And as long as Concealed Handgun Licensees are forced to "store guns in cars" there will be vehicle burglars on campus because the "crop" is supposed to be better on University "farms" than at WalMart, Malls, Libraries … and everywhere the CHLs just carry them in with them.

• UH have Video monitoring (490+ cameras) of all campus parking lots and other selected areas – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
    Somone is not watching…lol