Women's Basketball

UH wins regular season C-USA crown

The Cougars cut the nets down as they clinched Conference USA with a 77-61 win over UTEP Sunday at Hofheinz Pavilion.

The Miners made it a tight game early with six lead changes, but their biggest lead was only three points with 13 minutes left in the first half. The Cougars took the lead with a run and never relinquished it. Courtney Taylor led the Cougars’ attack.

Senior forward Lesslee Mason tied her career high with 15 rebounds and Brittney Scott poured in 23 points with an array of jump shots as the Cougars steamrolled to their 13th straight victory.

“Words will not ever be able to describe how proud I am of these kids and my entire staff,” head coach Todd Buchanan said. “Everybody has bought in, everybody has continued to buy in and everybody has done their due diligence to get us to this point.”

The Cougars’ first goal has been crossed off the list, but there’s still more work to be done.

“If we don’t go 16-0 we’re going to be disappointed,” Mason said. “If we lose a game in the tournament it will be disappointment. We’re expecting to go undefeated and go straight to the tournament.”

Buchanan is constantly giving his team words of encouragement and instruction on the court. He said he hopes the Cougars do not grow complacent.

“They want a ring,” Buchanan said. “What do they want to put on the ring? You’ve got a ring now, you need to go win the conference tournament championship. What do you want that ring to say? I want it to say ‘16-0.’ I want it to say ‘Conference tournament champs.’”

UH travels to Marshall (8-18, 4-9) at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Cam Henderson Center.