Series display debut opens eyes to meat production practices

The first of three exhibits, “From the Farm,” will provide viewers with a visual representation of a cattle farm.

The exhibit is the accumulation of the research by the Community Learning Agricultural Sustainability Program interns regarding the consumption and farming practices of food.

“This spring semester there will be a total of three one-day exhibits, one per month,” director of C.L.A.S.P. Leah Wolfthal said. “This is the first in the series. It will help passersby examine their assumptions about meat production/consumption in sustainable food systems.”

In preparation for this exhibit, the interns and a few other UH students visited Georgia’s Texas Grass-Fed Beef, a Waller farm with organic beef, chicken, vegetable and other products, according to Wolfthal.

Two students created this exhibit as part of the C.L.A.S.P. Art and Agricultural Sustainability Internship.

Albert Sosa, an art junior, experienced the preparation.

“We are making this huge barn feel towards it and we are juxtaposing industry farming practices along side organic ones,” Sosa said.

This exhibit will explore the nature of the food that we eat, how processed they are and the difference between organic and naturally produced foods, according to Sosa.

“I want people to realize what’s going on with the food they are eating,” Sosa said.

C.L.A.S.P. is one of UH’s Green Initiatives. It is housed in the Department of University Services.

The exhibit is free and open to the public.

It will be open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday in Butler Plaza, weather permitting.

For details of the three one-day exhibits, visit their Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Campus-Community-Garden/160638127118.