Baseball

Cougars swing and miss against Rebels

UH dropped two of three games and lost the weekend series to Ole Miss after an 8-2 defeat Sunday at Cougar Field.

The Cougars (5-2) scored once in the bottom of the first inning, but could only tack on two more runs in the fifth.

“We learned a lesson in game one and game three — you have to come out of the gates fighting,” head coach Todd Whitting said.

“I thought Saturday we came out and punched them in the mouth in the first inning and it took us all the way through.”

The Rebels (7-1) ran away with the game with a three-run fourth inning to make it 6-1.

The Cougars bounced back from a 4-2 loss Friday by winning 8-2 on Saturday. UH jumped out to a 1-0 lead after the first inning, but Ole Miss scored a run in the third to tie the game

The Rebels scored again in the fourth to give them the lead. They had the lead until sixth, when the Ole Miss pitching fell apart. The Cougars cashed in by scoring four runs and taking a 5-2 lead. UH added three more runs in the seventh to stretch the lead to the eventual final score of 8-2.

“I thought we played well this weekend against Ole Miss, but I wanted to win the series,” Whitting said. “Playing well against an SEC team is not a moral victory for us. I expect to win every series.”

The Cougars next game is at 6 p.m. tomorrow at UTSA.