Baseball

UH in for first road series of season

The Cougars will look to build off of Wednesday’s offensive outburst and create a streak going into a weekend series against Texas State.

Success for the Cougars (7-6) is directly linked to how they perform during practice.

“We may not have as much talent as other teams in the country, but we can outwork everybody,” head coach Todd Whitting said. “That means practice, we just have to keep working.”

The offense hopes to continue producing as it did against in the last game, recording 17 hits and scoring 13 runs.

“We have to come with good approaches at the plate,” catcher John Cannon said. “We just have to fight.”

Texas State (9-3) has won seven of its last eight contests. Two of the Bobcat’s three losses have come against ranked competition in No. 18 Rice and No. 17 Baylor. Before dropping their previous game against Baylor, the Bobcats had reeled off seven straight wins.

The Cougars will face a proven pitcher today as Carson Smith takes the mound for Texas State. Smith is 1-1 with a 2.63 ERA.

“Smith is as good as anybody in the country,” Whitting said. “We’ll have to be ready to play because they’ll be outstanding. They are very talented and very well-coached.

The UH starting pitcher for Friday has not been announced.

The series begins today at 6:30 p.m. at Bobcat Ballpark in San Marcos. Game two is at 2 p.m. Saturday, and the series finale is at 1 p.m. Sunday.