Baseball

Kent State prevents UH sweep

The Cougar dropped the finale 8-5 to Kent State on Sunday at Cougar Field, after winning the first two games of the series.

Kent State (9-8) got on the scoreboard early, taking a 3-0 lead after the first inning. The Cougars (11-10) managed to get the score within one run on several occasions Kent State responded every time.

UH had multiple opportunities to score, but failed to drive in a single run after getting the bases loaded in the fourth, fifth and ninth innings.

“We didn’t deserve to win,” head coach Todd Whitting said. “When you kick the ball around and leave the bases loaded three times and don’t throw strikes, you don’t deserve to win.”

Starting pitcher Codey Morehouse kept the game close, lasting seven innings and allowing five runs on nine hits and striking out five.

On Saturday, the Cougars beat Kent State 4-3. With the score knotted up at three apiece in the fifth inning, Chase Jensen hit a homerun, his third of the season, to left field to give the Cougars the lea

The lead proved to be more than enough, as the Cougars held Kent State scoreless through the final five innings to win the game.

Starting pitcher Jordan Lewis went six-and-two-thirds innings, allowing three runs on seven hits while striking out four. Jordan Mannisto entered the game in the sixth inning and pitched two-and-one-third innings of scoreless baseball to earn the save and preserve the win.

The Cougars opened the series with a 5-3 victory behind a strong pitching performance from Mo Wiley.

Wiley pitched a career-high seven innings and allowed two runs on four hits. Dakota Dill relieved Wiley and recorded the save, pitching the final two innings.

“Wiley was big time,” Whitting said. “He was effectively wild around the strike zone. He allowed us to save our bullpen.

The Cougars next game will be against l Rice at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Reckling Park.