Golf

UH heads south to host competition

As the season winds down, the Cougars look to finish strong — and it starts this Friday with the Border Olympics (March 25-26) in Laredo.

The Cougars will host this tournament, their first of the final three tournaments remaining in the regular season before the Conference USA Championships begin April 24 in Texarkana.

“We’ve played a lot of golf the last four to five weeks, I think we’re starting to get a grasp on where our game is,” head coach Jonathan Dismuke said. “Our expectations are the same every week, I feel like we have a very talented team.”

A ninth place finish last week at the Desert Shootout in Goodyear, Arizona, was fueled by freshman Wesley McCain’s consecutive rounds of 69 to post career-bests in 36 and 54 hole totals.

“Wesley has played great,” Dismuke said. “The last four rounds we put some contacts in his eyes, and he’s been six-under his last four rounds.”

McCain finished in the Top 20 in a tie for 17th to lead the Cougars with a three-round score of 211 (-5) while the next closest UH player was freshman Bryn Flanagan, who posted a 214 (-2) for the tournament.

“We have four freshman playing every event, so we’ve asked a lot out of them,” Dismuke said.

“They’ve done a pretty good job of stepping up to the plate.

“It’s been a nice learning curve for them; we are a lot more comfortable now then earlier in the year.”

The Cougars need a strong finish as they head to the homestretch of the spring portion of the season. A fourth-place finish at the Rice Intercollegiate back in February was the best performance for the Cougars since the calendar flipped to 2011.

“I’ve been very pleased with our performance at times, we’re extremely competitive,” Dismuke said.

“When we play well we are arguably as good as anybody. The thing we are focusing on right now is not getting ahead of ourselves.”