Food

Staff picks: Best menu under $20

John Brannen: It tastes like chicken

Every area of Houston offers up an overwhelming amount of diversity. Being from Sharpstown, you can travel through several continents in the span of a few miles. My favorite place is a Colombian restaurant called Pollo Riko.

They have three locations, but the only one I’ve frequented is at 7229 Fondren in Southwest Houston.

While the chicken is the main attraction, their sides are just as flavorful. Fried yuca — which is basically like a french fry — and fried plantains (bananas) always complement an order of chicken.

But the best side is the green sauce better known as aji. It is a mix of cilantro, jalapenos, vinegar among others. It goes well on top of all the items on the menu, but my favorite is to douse it with white rice.

Andrew Taylor: Thai done right

My all time favorite place to eat for less than $20 is Jenni’s Noodle House on Shepherd.

Their menu has plenty of vegetarian offerings to please whatever mood I may be in. Also, the staff over at Jenni’s Noodle House is almost always pleasant to deal with, and it has above average service when compared to other Thai eateries.

Another reason that Jenni’s noodle house stands out among other Thai restaurants in Houston is because their menu and concept are completely original.

They also offer two different types of pot stickers, fried or steamed. If the only potstickers you’ve had are the steamed ones, then go to Jenni’s noodle house and order the fried ones. Jenni’s noodle house seals the deal for me with their eclectic Thai offerings and laidback attitude.

Cristi Guerra: Subs so fast —and cheap — you’ll freak

For college students on a budget and on the run the best choice would be Jimmy John’s sandwiches. Their reputation of “Subs so fast you’ll freak” rings true, because by the time you pay and fill your drink, your meal is ready.

While they don’t carry any hot sandwiches, their cold sub selection can’t be matched. They bake the bread fresh daily, make their own homemade Italian vinaigrette and give you good portions of meat.

Unfortunately, there aren’t any locations on campus, but those students traveling from the south can swing by the 59 and Kirby location. As for the rest, the location on Main Street is about ten minutes away from campus.

For less than $9 you can get a hearty sub, chips and drink in under 5 minutes, the best combination for a quick meal before class.

Jose Aguilar: Tacos, a gift from above

Brother’s Taco House, a taqueria located close to campus at 1604 Dowling St., is my fave place to go on the cheap. There is a menu of the tacos they offer, but you have to stop by to see what they have available for the day. The ones that are available consistently are the usual suspects: potato and egg and chorizo and egg for breakfast, or chicken fajita, beef fajita and asada for lunch. If you show up and they are offering chicken mole tacos or the chicken ranchero, definitely try them.

Tacos range from $1.50 to $2, so you could get tacos for you and a friend for under 10 bucks. Go early because the taco house is only open til 3 p.m. during the week.

As their slogan says, “Thank God for tacos!”