Baseball

Cougars play spoiler to Aggies

Junior shortstop Chase Jensen played the role of hero in the Cougars’ 3-2 win over the No. 5 Texas A&M on Tuesday. He batted in the go-ahead run in the top of the ninth inning, which extended the UH winning streak to four.  | Newton Liu/The Daily Cougar

Junior shortstop Chase Jensen played the role of hero in the Cougars’ 3-2 win over the No. 5 Texas A&M on Tuesday. He batted in the go-ahead run in the top of the ninth inning, which extended the UH winning streak to four. | Newton Liu/The Daily Cougar

In a nail-biter, the Cougars beat No.5 Texas A&M 3-2 Tuesday in College Station, extending their win streak to four games.

In the top of the ninth inning, with the scored knotted up 2-2, Ryan Still led off with a walk. After Landon Appling struck out, Still stole second base. Caleb Ramsey then flew out to center field for the second out of the inning and, the Cougars were down to their final out.

After going 0-of-4 so far in the game, junior shortstop Chase Jensen came up to the plate with a chance to give UH the lead.

He did not disappoint.

After Still stole third base uncontested, Jensen hit a ground ball RBI single to third base to drive in Still and gave the Cougars a 3-2 lead.

“Chase had about as bad a day as you can have at home plate,” head coach Todd Whitting said.

“But if you have the ability to let go of things and not dwell on the past you’re going to have success and that’s what happened for him tonight.”

For the fourth consecutive game, the UH starting pitcher dealt late into the game and delivered a thorough performance.

Codey Morehouse pitched seven-and-two-thirds innings, allowing two runs on five hits while striking out six.

“He was outstanding,” Whitting said. “He’s throwing the ball downhill, staying down in the zone and commanding his pitches. They really didn’t get that many good swings off of him.

“This was huge for him. Not just for tonight, but for the rest of the season. He had two rough outings in a row and he really needed this one.”

Jordan Mannisto pitched the final one-and-one-third innings, shutting down the Aggies and preserved the Cougars’ victory.

The Cougars (16-14) jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the second inning and took a 2-0 lead after they added another run in the fourth when Joel Ansley singled in John Cannon who had reached base via walk.

A&M (22-7) responded with a run in the fifth inning when Charlie Curl hit a one-run homer off Morehouse.

A&M managed to score another run in the bottom of the eighth inning to tie the game at two, but UH battled back in the ninth and took the lead and the win.

“I really like the mindset of our team,” Whitting said. “When you play hard and execute, you’re going to win or you’re going to put yourself in position to win.

“That was a great win for us from a resume standpoint, but they understand that it’s all about the next game.”

UH returns to action quickly, as they take on Lamar at 6:30 p.m. tonight at Cougar Field, the first home game in 16 days.