Activities & Organizations

Service options provided at fair

More than 20 organizations, including non-profits and student ogranizations, provided volunteer information Tuesday in the University Center.  | Brianna Leigh Morrison/The Daily Cougar

More than 20 organizations, including non-profits and student ogranizations, provided volunteer information Tuesday in the University Center. | Brianna Leigh Morrison/The Daily Cougar

UH’s Metropolitan Volunteer Program put its superpowers on display Tuesday afternoon at the University Center arbor as the Revolution of Heroes Volunteer Fair played host to student organizations, local non-profit organizations and students seeking volunteer initiatives.

“Today’s fair is a perfect way for non-profits and other organizations to get directly involved and connect students to make a difference,” said SGA President Michael Harding.

As students shuffled to and from classes or stopped for lunch, they were able to meet more than 20 organizations offering volunteer service opportunities both on and off campus, according to MVP coordinator Maureen Durojaiye.

Participating organizations included the Ronald McDonald House, Houston Food Bank, Alpha Phi Omega and the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center.

Sonya Diaz, the Commit for Life volunteer coordinator, said the volunteer process is essential to creating community bonds and getting people involved.

For Alan Peralta, a business junior, getting involved is nothing new. Peralta has been volunteering since middle school and views each fair as an opportunity to “meet new people and expand your network.”

Attendees received an additional incentive for participating in the fair.

“Participation is important to us, and this year to keep that going I’ve put together the Revolution of Heroes stamp card to encourage students to visit each organization,” said MVP Assistant Director Kate Gaviola.

As students arrived, MVP distributed the stamp cards with the 20 participating organizations listed. By completing the card, students were eligible for prizes such as pens, drawstring bags, sunglasses and MVP shirts.

The most sought-after prize, the MVP shirts, only required 15 stamps. However, many free prizes were just an added bonus.

“It’s always great to see people go above and beyond the call,” said Josue Pedraza, an Alpha Phi Omega member.

Students seeking volunteer service opportunities who were unable to attend the fair are encouraged to visit MVP’s office for information on how to get involved.

“Our doors are always open to students wanting to connect with organizations to make a difference,” said Daray Olaleye, MVP Director. “It’s what we’re here for.”