Lathan making big name for herself

When opposing pitching staffs look at the Cougars’ lineup, sophomore shortstop Brooke Lathan is a name worth circling.

Lathan is second on the team in hits, home runs and RBIs. She was last week’s Conference USA Player of the Week after hitting .700 with three home runs and 10 RBIs in four games.

She said she is focusing on developing a balance between hitting and defense and avoiding streaky play.

“I’d like to be more consistent of a hitter and a player instead of having ups and downs,” Lathan said.

“Last year I focused more on defense because hitting just came to me. This year I’m focusing more on hitting, and I’ve struggled on defense because of it.”

Lathan had a career high of six RBIs — one shy of the school record — against UTEP in the 15-0 win on April 10. Against Baylor, Lathan struggled and went 0-for-7, striking out once and stranding three runners on base.

Her coaches say performances like that can be treated as a learning experience.

“Every player has those moments of doubt and they need to know that we believe in them by keep putting them out there,” head coach Kyla Holas said.

“We wouldn’t put them on the field if we didn’t think they could do the job.”

After receiving extensive playing time as a freshman, Lathan is a tested performer.

As the season inches closer to the C-USA tournament, Lathan said she hopes her skills as a batter will come in handy in postseason play.

“This year I feel that as a hitter I’m more of an asset to the team,” Lathan said.

“I’ll try to focus on it more and reach a balance so that we can make a run in conference.”