Softball

UH preps for charity game

The Cougars will have some minor alterations to their uniforms tomorrow when they host the fifth annual “Striking Out Breast Cancer” game tomorrow when the Texas A&M Aggies visit. | File Photo/The Daily Cougar

For the fifth straight year the Cougars will wear pink jerseys and helmets, as they host the annual “Striking Out Breast Cancer Game” Wednesday against Texas A&M at Cougar Softball Stadium.

The Aggies were the Cougars opponent in the inaugural game in 2007.

Head coach Kyla Holas said each year the game seems to take a life of its own.

“Sometimes I think it gets bigger and bigger and we have to constantly try and keep up with it,” Holas said.

“But for us, it’s one of those things we get a date to be reminded that sometimes we play for a reason above winning and losing. Sometimes there’s a lot more at stake.”

The event originated when former player Elena Nordstrom was recruited.

“During the recruitment process, her mom was going through a double vasectomy, treatment and chemotherapy and it was on our minds when we recruited her,” Holas said.

“When we had the opportunity to do it we thought it was a great idea to honor her and everyone else who goes through this.”

Playing for more than a win

Senior pitcher Amanda Crabtree will be the starter. She said emotions will be high for the special occasion.

“It’s an awesome cause and I think all the girls get real excited for it,” Crabtree said. “There is a lot hype that goes with the game especially with playing Texas A&M. It’s just such a fun game because you know you’re playing in it for a good reason.”

Part of the fun factor for the players is having the chance to play in pink attire.

“Of course all of us girls don’t mind wearing pink, especially if it’s for a good cause,” senior outfielder Katy Beth Sherman said.

“It reminds us during the game what its really about. Yes, it’s us competing, but when it comes down to it, the point of the game is the fight for the cure and how we’re able to contribute to the foundation.”

The game will feature a silent auction that opens at 5 p.m. with the proceeds, along with profits from half of the tickets sold, going to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation in Houston.

The auction will feature the pink jerseys and helmets worn by the players, Astros tickets, a Coach purse and an autographed jersey from former US National softball player Jenni Finch. The first 250 fans will also receive a free pink t-shirt.

The game is slated for a 6:30 p.m. start at Cougar Softball Stadium.