Fewer worries for the next two years

Of the more than 3,200 students who applied for the 2011 Science, Mathematics and Research for Transformation scholarship, UH-Victoria computer science junior Justin Young was selected to receive the scholarship earlier this month.

The SMART Scholarship for Service Program, established by the US Department of Defense, supports students who demonstrate outstanding ability and special aptitude pursuing degrees in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

The program aims to increase the number of civilian scientists and engineers working at the Department of Defense laboratories, according to the scholarship website.

Young is the third UH student to win the competitive scholarship funded by the Department of Defense and the American Engineering Education.

A quick reference to the scholarship website’s scholar directory will affirm the prestige behind this scholarship, with schools such as Brown, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, M.I.T., as well as many other prestigious schools, listed.

“Historically, the acceptance rate has been about 10 percent or less,” Young said. “Still, I knew that my academic background was right in line with what the Department of Defense was looking for, and computer science is a field that has been in demand for some time.”

As one of the SMART scholarship recipients, Young is afforded the many benefits of the program such as a generous stipend, health insurance, book allowance, full tuition and fees as well as at least two years of guaranteed employment with the Department of Defense.

“It’s a huge advantage to know what I’m going to be doing after graduation, and to be able to focus my attention on classes and coursework that will apply to my career,” he said.

As a part of the application process, Young interviewed with Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma City, Okla., one of the Department of Defense’s sponsoring facilities in which Young may find himself working upon graduation.

“The most important aspect of this scholarship will be my post-graduation employment with the Air Force,” Young said.

Young, who generally will apply for one or two grants or scholarships every semester, no longer needs to worry about where to apply next.

“Just knowing that I won’t have to worry about tuition is a big relief. It was a long process, but I am thrilled with the outcome and I look forward to finishing my degree with UHV.”