Service offers students help in form of mentors

For most people, having a mentor can make all the difference when it comes to choosing the right career path, but it is never easy to find someone who has the time or willingness to be a mentor — until now.

Studentmentor.org is a nonprofit organization that brings professionals from all walks of life, like accountants, lawyers, engineers, doctors, writers and even fighter pilots, who are all ready and willing to help out students who are in need of guidance and a mentor.

Co-founders Stephanie Bravo and Ashkon Jafari built the organization with hopes to help out students who are in positions similar to where they found themselves in not too long ago.

“I was really lost and had nowhere to turn to, luckily my boss was my mentor and really helped guide me,” Jafari said. “We still keep in touch to this day.”

Jafari explains that the website is set up for students to choose exactly what kind of relationship they would like to have with their mentor.

“Whether you would like a long-standing mentor who can follow you through your college and professional carrier, or if you are looking for a quick opinion,” it is all up to the student.

Finding your mentor through the organization is very easy, Jafari said.

“Go to the website to log on, it only takes a minute to connect … and you will be matched with multiple mentors with their basic info and career history.”

Once a student is logged in and has their mentor selected, they are given the option of communicating through e-mail, by phone or face-to-face if the geography permits.

Though the mentors involved in the organization are dedicated to a single student, the students are actually encouraged to seek out at least two mentors.

Though it may be a young company, in just the six months since opening, the organization has helped students from more than 200 campuses nationwide, and has more than 1,000 mentors for students to count on.