Summer program helps with speech, language and hearing

The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association will celebrate Better Hearing and Speech Month with a program providing group therapy.

Speech and language disorders can take many forms and can limit academic achievement, social adjustment and career advancement.

“We offer assessments and individual therapy for people of all ages with communication disorders,” said Ingrid Bowling, clinical supervisor. “Year-round programs include the Language Learning Group for preschoolers and the Aphasia Group for adults with acquired neurological communication impairment.”

The summer program offers information about how to cope with communication disorders or swallowing difficulties.

“All of the services in the clinic are provided by graduate students working towards a master’s degree in Communication Disorders under the supervision of licensed and certified speech-language pathologists,” Bowling said.

The therapy helps children express their thoughts through positive social interactions.

“The fees for services are on a sliding scale based on income, and UH students, faculty and staff receive a discount,” said Bowling. “Register before May and receive an early bird discount.”

In addition to Cougar Communication Groups, the clinic offers many other types of therapy.

Speech and language disorders can result from a variety of problems including hearing loss, brain injury or deterioration, cerebral palsy, stroke, cleft palate, voice pathology, mental retardation or emotional problems, according to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

The University of Houston’s Hearing Language and Speech Clinic recognizes the importance of providing assessment and treatment for all disorders of communication.

The clinic will host its speech and language program, Cougar Communication Groups, from June 6 to July 15.

May has been celebrated as Better Hearing and Speech Month since 1927 to raise public awareness of speech and language disorders that affect 14 million Americans.