Fining Bryant was punishment enough

These days the word “fag” carries more weight than ever before. It’s no longer a tease to encourage buddies to act more manly.

Instead, it’s an insult of the highest order, a slur in the same league as “n-word,” and NBA living legend Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers, found this out the hard way.

Bryant, arguably the star of the Lakers franchise and one of the most successful professional basketball players in recent years, was fined $100,000 by the National Basketball Association for calling a referee a “f**king fag” after the official called a foul on Bryant during an intense contest against the San Antonio Spurs.

The comment, made obviously out of anger and in the frustration of the moment, has been denounced by the NBA commissioner and several gay rights groups.

Aside from the $100,000 fine imposed on Bryant at the behest of the NBA commissioner — a charge Bryant plans to appeal — gay rights activist groups are calling for the Los Angeles star to do more in reconciliation.

Tom Watson, co-founder of Love Honor Cherish, an LA-based gay and lesbian advocate for marriages in California, has called out Bryant, proclaiming, “if he believes that what he did is wrong, he needs to take action … he’s got time to use his celebrity status to help fix the world that he made a little bit more broken through his comments.”

Really? There can be no denying that this matter has been over-hyped, politicized and manipulated by gay advocates and activists to bring negative attention to the male-dominated world that is sports, which has traditionally been unreceptive to gays and homosexuals.

Boston University law professor Robert Volk, an expert in the area of the law and sexual minorities, referred to sports as the “last bastion of homophobia in this country,” as if to put cross-hairs on professional sports for gay and lesbian groups to target directly.

Traditionally, it has been considered career suicide for gay sports players, especially basketball players, to come out of the closet.

Many gay professional ball players only go public after retirement, or at whatever point their career ends, which is evident of the high risks of doing so.

But in a progressive world, perhaps the time has come for the sports world and the men who support it to become more open and receptive to gays and homosexual fans and players. Or at least that’s the argument being made by NBA Commissioner David Stern and many gay activist groups. But Bryant and few others beg to differ.

Holding firm to his guns, the Laker’s top scorer has made amends with the referee and swiftly made a public apology for being insensitive, but he has filed an appeal on the premise that the comment wasn’t made in the context in which the nation has taken it.

There’s no question that there are many words in the English dictionary that have multiple meanings and can be manipulated to whatever end; it is a common misinterpretation among people to understand in what way are people using certain words or phrases, or in what context.

In the case of a frustrated Bryant and his frustrated remarks, this is one such misinterpretation.

The “f-word” wasn’t used by Bryant to degrade gays, and if the meaning of the word has changed to that of a derogatory slur, then thanks for the heads up. It probably won’t happen again.

But to sabotage someone who millions enjoy to watch and admire for his talents and skill with a basketball is ethically wrong and unacceptable.

Furthermore, to misconstrue an event, or a person’s words to the end of manipulating a public reaction in this way is extremely lacking in tact.

Bryant is a professional ballplayer and a celebrity in a sense, and is expected to act responsibly; however, he is human and, as such, has his own opinions and beliefs that may not be popular with the public.

When Bryant gets angry and frustrated, it shouldn’t surprise people that he would say things on the bench that we say in many ways, on a daily basis.

The man simply gets angry and frustrated like everyone else and says things he probably doesn’t mean.

It must be stated that what Bryant meant by calling the referee a “fag” was that the ref was making a poor call under the persuasion of hot emotions, not logic or reason and meant no ill-will to the LGBT community.

Bryant is an accomplished professional basketball star, not a guinea pig to be manipulated.

The members of the LGBT community should lay off an issue this petty and focus on those issues that stand to limit their growing demographic.

Nevertheless, celebrities have to be more careful of their public gaffs, but the reaction should be in line with the action, and the $100,000 fine was enough.

Anything else is excessive, overly-hyped, politicized hysteria being raised and manipulated by agents of the LGBT community to advance its agenda.

• I love how every gets offended when someone says fag. It's probably one of the most used words today. It has essentially lost its former meaning and is now closer to words like 'jerk' 'asshole' and 'douchebag'. I hate to use a comedy show in a (hopefully) intellectual discussion, but South Park had a great episode on this whole argument.

I think people should stop being so damn offended at everything. It causes petty lawsuits and ties up our judicial system. I don't get offended when someone calls me a 'raghead' I shrug it off. It's not a big deal.

• The words jerk, asshole, and douchebag do not represent a specific population. The N and F words do. While I realize that Bryant did not necessarily mean to offend the LGBT community, he used the word to insult someone, insinuating that anyone who meets the description of his disgusting word is a less than perfect person. Gays have every right to take offense to the word. And I'm not sure what planet you live on, but the word still means the same thing to everyone – gay.

• Like I said, I don't get offended when someone calls me a 'raghead'. It's my opinion that homosexuals should not take such offense to 'fag'. It is a word. If you let it get to you then you only give the people who say the word and mean it as a slander to homosexuals more incentive to say it more. Ignore them and stop being so thin skinned. It's just a word that people associate with homosexuals in a derogatory way. No word in inherently good or bad.

Also, try going on YouTube and looking at some comments. Try any online gaming service. 'Fag' is used to refer to someone as a jerk, asshole, or douchebag, etc.

• Do you think that the 'n-word' should not be offensive to black people and that people should be able to throw that around anytime they are angry to talk about someone who is a jerk, asshole, or douchebag?

If you answer yes to that, then I don't mind your argument, but if you have a double standard for the word fag, then I have a problem with your argument.

• "'Fag' is used to refer to someone as a jerk, asshole, or douchebag, etc." — right. And the implication of that is that gay people are jerks, assholes, and douchebags, etc.

I don't believe you that you don't get offended when you're called a racial slur. You probably don't call a press conference, and neither do gay people when they are individually called a slur. But if a basketball player called a referee a "f_cking raghead" in anger, I suspect that many civil rights activists and Muslim & Arab groups would be speaking out about it, just like this.

• maybe the people being called fags aren't thinned-skinned. maybe they've been "ignoring it" their whole lives. maybe i want a legal marriage and the same people telling me i shouldn't have it are same people who can't stop themselves from yelling out homophobic slur.

also, who cares if you've internalized racism to the point where being called a slur doesn't "bother" you anymore? some people still have some self-respect and pride.

• "South Park had a great episode on this whole argument. "

mm yes i too take all of my moral cues from cartoons

haha just kidding i'm not developmentally delayed like you

• If Kobe was referring to a pack of cigarettes or a bundle of sticks, I don't think he'd be getting nearly the same sort of feedback. The point is he was, in fact, using the word exactly in a way in which he is currently being held accountable for– a derogatory term, a pejorative whose sole basis is to point out that to be considered a homosexual is an insult. That you are less of a man (or woman) and deserve to be called out as such. If an NBA star called someone a "f-ing n-word," I sincerely doubt this article would hold the same sympathetic slant. But that's alright, because we all know that racism is wrong and homosexuals are just overly-sensitive f-words who just need to get over it and accept that people are going to constantly belittle them anyway.

It's certainly true that most people don't think of the word that way when they use it, but they should. You have no idea who you're hurting with that one little word, who you're making feel about an inch tall in the crowd around you. It costs you nothing and may cost someone else far more than you realize.

• “But to sabotage someone who millions enjoy to watch and admire for his talents and skill with a basketball is ethically wrong and unacceptable.”

So as long as the bigot is popular, like David Duke in the KKK, it’s unethical to take offense, especially because it upsets his supporters.

On a side note, Neiman, you may want to put that line up there in the first paragraph… I had to wade through half your article before discovering your bigotry/opinion.

And just what did you think the f-word means and in what meaning of the word is there a complete absence of a derogatory reference to gay people? You’re most likely one of those World of Warcraft or Counter Strike kids who use that word to describe your sense of “frustration”.

Well, the real world doesn’t work like that.

***And you know, you ARE whining about the fact that people can’t be their bigoted self in public without getting nasty looks.***

Your entire opinion can be summed up with that statement. Sad.

• The context of Bryant's use of the slur was one of anger, not one of respect and admiration. He meant to offend the ref in some way so we can't say that just because the ref isn't gay or this wasn't in a "gay context" (whatever that means), that it's not equally as offensive. The word "fag", just like the n-word, CONTINUES to be directed at historically disenfranchised groups. This word was originally used to refer to the bundle of sticks that were used to burn people (typically, those who were considered 'different') at the stake. Regardless of if it has become more "mainstream", as FaibiFowl says, it is no less offensive to those on the receiving end of such hate. It is used, like many other insults regarding gender roles and sexuality, to not only insult the LGBT community but also police the behavior of ANYONE (gay or straight) who acts outside of the norms. While the $100,000 fine is appropriate, so too would be Bryant wanting to self-educate about the history of hate speech, especially as a member of a historically marginalized group, and use his influence as a pro-athlete to educate othesr (especially his young fans) to stop the perpetuation of ignorance.

• attain legal status equal to that of straight people, raise awareness w/r/t hate crimes, gay teens in crisis, etc. find and drink the blood of christian infants (time permitting).

just common sense stuff, you know?

• Natalie already echoed exactly what I was about to say. The fact that you can't even write the full "n-word" in your article proves that it is a word that has become almost unacceptable to even write it out, as it is very offensive to a large group of people. The same should be said for "fag". Using a word in the context that he did is definitely hateful and inappropriate no matter who you are. This is especially true as a celebrity who is in the public eye and can be seen by children. Making young impressionable minds think that this is an okay thing to say because you are angry with someone is simply not right.

You said: "It must be stated that what Bryant meant by calling the referee a “fag” was that the ref was making a poor call under the persuasion of hot emotions, not logic or reason and meant no ill-will to the LGBT community."

Would you have used this same sentence if a different word were in its place: "It must be stated that what Bryant meant by calling the referee a “n-word” was that the ref was making a poor call under the persuasion of hot emotions, not logic or reason and meant no ill-will to the black community."

That would absolutely not be taken as lightly as using the word fag, and it shouldn't be. Neither of these types of slurs should be taken lightly. It is not okay to use a derogatory term for a group of people as a word you throw around at any time you feel angry. It is especially unprofessional to say at all, but even more so when you are a celebrity and watched by many young people.

He definitely should have been given more than a measly fine, that was like pocket change to someone like him.

• "It’s no longer a tease to encourage buddies to act more manly." … "if the meaning of the word has changed to that of a derogatory slur, then thanks for the heads up." Nelmon James, your ignorance is showing. Please put it away and get it out of my college newspaper. I have no opinion about whether Kobe has done enough to make up for saying what he said, but for the Daily Cougar to print this kind of uninformed apologism is an insult to the University of Houston.

Being called a "f_cking f_g" is only an insult if being gay is bad. Like the N_ word. Like the R_ word. There are certain slurs that even thought they have been accepted into the parlance of some social groups, the rest of us are saying to you, "that is not okay." I think you should open your mind and listen to why.

The word "f_g" is a word used, (as other commenters have pointed out), to both denigrate a population of human beings and to keep others in check, a warning that there is a group out there who is less worthy of respect than heterosexuals and if you aren't careful, you will be treated as part of it.

More importantly, the word "f_g" is one that gay men hear hurled at them not just as an insult, but sometimes along with fists. Any man who has ever been beaten for being gay has heard this word shouted in his face as it happened. It was a reminder to him that this beating was deserved, because he who he is is unacceptable; it was used to remind him that he is not a real man, and therefore subhuman.

Did Kobe mean to call the referee gay? No. Did Kobe mean to use a word that called the referee less than a man, less than human, because that's what f_gs are? Yes, that's what he meant. Should he be sorry for that, and should he try to use his popularity to remind other young men that even though these words are tossed around, they are wrong and shouldn't be used? Yes! He absolutely should! And there is nothing wrong with activist groups calling for him to do so.

• Did Kobe mean to call the referee gay? No. Did Kobe mean to use a word that called the referee less than a man, less than human, because that's what f_gs are? Yes, that's what he meant.

So you're a mind reader eh? Then why are you wasting your talents here when you could be preventing crimes from happening at this very second? Go, go now, for the good of the city!

• Zed, in the context of my entire comment, you should be able to understand that I was saying "that is what a person is doing when they use that word as a generic insult." Which most of the other people commenting here seem to understand.

I am not reading Kobe's mind, simply explaining how language works. You see, when I say "chair" you can make certain assumptions about the thing I'm thinking of, and if I use the word "chair" to mean something else, then I'm still using that word because of the original connotations of an actual as-commonly-understood-object-that-is-called-chair — but you know, nevermind. It's not worth all that explaining. Most people get it & I'm sorry that you don't.

• When you assume things you make an ass out of you and me.

Just because you assume something doesn't make it right, the article pointed out it easily could have also been (and most likely was) something said out of anger without any thought.

"Did Kobe mean to call the referee gay? No. Did Kobe mean to use a word that called the referee less than a man, less than human, because that's what f_gs are? Yes, that's what he meant."

Hmm, Ctrl+F finds nothing about your opinion there, just "that's what he meant", Kobe totally hates the LGBT community and everything they stand for

• Also just because "most people get it" doesn't mean its right either. A lot of people "got it" when Hitler started to spout off his garbage.

Prejudice burns brighter when it's all we have to burn.

• So what the author is basically saying is that if I take a word that is used as a slur for an entire population, but don't 'mean' it in a way to offend them I can use it however I want? Right?

Great. Every time someone pisses me off, they're going to be called the n-word. Everytime someone is stupid, they're the n-word. It's okay, I don't mean I hate them because they're black! No way! And anyone who gets mad and calls me a racist must be wrong.

Get real, dude. When you use a word that is meant to be representative of a group (whatever the nature of that word's original intent was) in such manner, you are basically equating them with your feelings on the person or object you use that word for.

And please, PLEASE find some journalistic integrity and quit using the cliched and ignorant "LGBT Agenda"; the only agenda we have is creating equal rights for ourselves and others.

• "But to sabotage someone who millions enjoy to watch and admire for his talents and skill with a basketball is ethically wrong and unacceptable." WOW. Really?

To the author, please explain further.

• Please let's all move on. As sure as the sun rises in the morning .All of us at some point blurted out words that we do not mean especially at a stage of a heightened emotional situations.

Kobe already apologized. Stop making it so much of a big deal.
    I have gay friends. They did not get offended with the comment of kobe

• Those who are offended by the comment didn't start this conversation, Rich. Someone who suggested the comment wasn't really all that bad and wasn't insulting to gay people started it.

None of us here (as far as I've seen) are suggesting that what Kobe did is horrendous. Nobody here is calling for him to be fired. We just want you to stop suggesting it was okay.

• "look when i called him a kike, i wasn't saying he was actually JEWISH, i just meant he's tightfisted like jews are! how is that bigoted?"

• I wouldn't be opposed if it wasn't so blatantly troll-worthy. Like I said before, as the article states it could just as much be a case of Kobe saying the slur without any thought rather than with blatant intent which some people are pushing as fact when they don't know for a fact to begin with in regards to what was going on in Kobe's head at the time. Such behavior is no better than the behavior they're condemning.

• it is true that most people use casually racist/sexist/whatever language out of thoughtlessness and not out of malice. kobe, in all likelihood, is probably guilty of the former.

what baffles me are the people who get all het up and defensive whenever someone suggests that we stop behaving like animals and stop using bigoted slurs. it's entirely possible to insult someone effectively without marginalizing their entire minority group.