Softball

Senior outfielder finishes UH career with head high

In the 2011 season, Katy Beth Sherman was the Cougars’ offensive catalyst in the leadoff position. Sherman started all but one game for the Cougars in their grueling 60-game season. | File Photo/The Daily Cougar

Even the commercials on ESPN for the Women’s College World Series are difficult to watch for Katy Beth Sherman. She said that they make her emotional and she has not watched one game of the World Series — but that isn’t a bad thing.

“It shows how much it means to me and made me every bit of who I am,” Sherman said. “I love those four years and I love being a part of the Cougar softball program.”

While the Cougars were in the midst of a run to the Conference USA regular-season title in late April, Sherman said her goal coming into the year was to make a return to the postseason.

“This team has gone through ups and downs throughout my career,” Sherman said. “We came in so strong my freshman year and that’s exactly how I wanted to finish.

“To leave that legacy for the rest of the team and go out being a leader and show everyone how Houston softball can compete and be nationally recognized for the talent that we have.”

Setting the bar higher

UH came within a run of advancing to the WCWS, but fell 6-5 to Oklahoma State in the Super Regionals after pushing the Cowgirls to a third game.

It was one of the Cougars’ most successful seasons in the program’s 11-year history under head coach Kyla Holas.

Not only did UH advance to the Super Regionals and earn a share of the C-USA regular season title, but it also featured several players who were recognized by the conference.

The C-USA Player of the Year, junior catcher Melissa Gregson (.314, 16 HR, 1.013 OPS), the C-USA Newcomer of the Year, senior pitcher Donna Bourgeois (17-6, 1.67 ERA) and the conference’s most dominant pitcher and NCAA strikeout leader Amanda Crabtree (21 W, 0.96 ERA, 336 K, 192.2 IP).

Success starts at the top

Sherman played an integral role in that success. She had the best season of her career, finishing in the top 10 in C-USA in batting average (.333), runs (35), hits (55) and triples (four) and sparking the Cougars’ lineup out of the leadoff spot.

“It’s definitely some pressure, but it’s exciting for me because that’s where I want to be,” Sherman said of hitting at the top of the lineup.

“I want to be that leader in that position where I can start things off. It’s really important coming out and at least having some fire and focus. To have everybody see that example, and try to get the best at bat in that I can and lead the team throughout the game.”

In her first two seasons at UH, Sherman learned the importance of setting an example for her teammates from former UH outfielder Katie Bush, who also hit at the top of the lineup.

“She was a great example for me on of how to get things done on a day-to-day basis,” Sherman said. “She taught me how to go through things as hard as you can and not going through the motions.

“Even though you’re going to struggle, there’s always a way to bounce back.”

Leader in the classroom

Sherman’s fire and leadership extend beyond the field, though, as she has excelled in academics while attending the University.

“She empowers her teammates, being the team leader that she is — not only athletically, but also academically,” academic adviser Lori Selzer said.

“She empowers them in the same way and really supports them in their academic endeavors. That translates to the field when they’re out there as well. Not only in terms of the academics, but with her energy and enthusiasm as well.”

Sherman was named to the C-USA All-Academic Team twice the last two seasons and has twice been named to the C-USA Commissioner’s Honor Roll.

She finished her undergraduate degree in corporate communications in May 2010 after coming to UH from Waller High School with a semester’s worth of college credit. She is currently working on her master’s degree in human resource development.

“It was a good decision for me,” Sherman said. “Now I have about a year left and I’m glad that I did it.

“It was smart for me and it’s really going to help me as soon as I start my career.”

This week, Sherman started to get a taste of what life is like after softball, as she started a graduate co-op position at the NASA Johnson Space Center.

“It was a pretty good first day,” Sherman said.

“It was a little intimidating being at NASA, but they took me out to lunch.”

• that a girl cousin. i am very proud of you. now you are out in the working world. and i am going to miss softball now a very lot. i can not wait until next season so maybe you can take me to some games. i know if won't be the same.

• KATHY BETH I AM SO PROUD OF YOU AND I AM GLAD I WAS ABLE TO ATTENT 3 OF YOUR GAMES. YOU HAVE DONE AN EXCELLENT JOB IN ALL YOU DO. GOOD LUCK TO YOU IN THE FUTURE.
    LOVE GRAN-GRAN