Cougars strengthen schedule, will face OU

Men’s basketball head coach James Dickey and the Cougars have signed up to be a part of the 76th annual All-College Basketball Classic in Oklahoma City.

The event will be put on by ESPN and the Oklahoma Sports Association and will feature a doubleheader — the Cougars vs. Oklahoma and New Mexico vs. Oklahoma State.

The game will be played on December 19 at Oklahoma City Arena and is the first to be released from the 2011-12 schedule.

Future UH golfers rack up awards

Incoming freshman Roman Robledo and Kyle Pilgrim were named to the UIL Class 5A All-State teams for their impressive senior season performances.

Robledo earned a spot on the First Team after winning the District 31-5A individual championship and leading Harlingen South High School to the team title as well.

Pilgrim, who attended Colleyville Heritage High School, earned a spot at the state tournament and Texas Academic All-State honors.

Both will compete for the Cougars this fall after signing with the program last November.

Thrower honored for community work

Sophomore John Fortune’s strong arms made him the third-best discus thrower in Conference USA. But it is his giving spirit earning him praise.

Fortune was named as one of 12 recipients of the Conference USA Spirit of Service Award on Tuesday for his involvement in several charitable organizations.

“It’s great to be recognized but it’s not why I am so involved with community service,” Fortune said in a release. “We still need more help from everyone to those in need.”