Football Overtime

Football – No major injuries after four practices

Senior quarterbacks Case Keenum and Cotton Turner are taking reps and defensive lineman Zeke Riser is participating in his first drills in more than a year. The bumps and bruises from 2010 are starting to disappear.

However several players are mending from pre-existing injuries that occurred late in the season or in the spring.

Head coach Kevin Sumlin said running back Chris Wilson is expected to return from foot surgery around November. Wilson recorded 122 rushing yards on 24 attempts in 2010.

Former Cinco Ranch player Shane Ros is also expected to make a full recovery and will be back on the practice field in August.

“He’s a walk-on special teams player,” Sumlin said. “He broke a foot in the spring and had surgery on it. He’s going to be back in the middle of the month.”

Junior offensive lineman Blake Sargent has the most unique of the injuries, healing from a non-football ailment.

“He had tonsil surgery about three weeks ago,” Sumlin said. “We’ve got to get his weight and strength back up, we’re not going to push him right now. He needs to eat some real food and get back to 300 pounds. He’ll probably be a couple of weeks.”

Redshirt freshman and former Pearland Dawson running back Xavier Brown is inactive because of foot surgery, but he is expected to return this month.

Junior defensive lineman Radermon Scypion received playing time after Matangi Tonga had a knee injury, but was lost for the season after breaking a leg. Sumlin said his staff will be monitoring his progress.
-John Brannen