Books

Philanthropic entrepreneur to release first book about his success

"Start Something that Matters"

"Start Something that Matters"

After founding a successful line of canvas shoes and sunglasses, the man behind TOMS has found another way to give back — but this time, it’s bound to a spine and not a sole.

Blake Mycoskie is slated to release his first book, “Start Something that Matters,” in which he talks at length about the TOMS vision, the ethics behind his cause and how others can find their own method of giving back to the people that need it the most.

He also discusses the common misconception that one must pursue either a passion, wealth or a cause that both gives back and inspires others, forcing them to exclude the other two.

However, Mycoskie says that it isn’t necessary to choose between the three, and one might even find more success if they don’t.

In telling the story of entrepreneurship, inspiration and the small mission that became a global movement, Mycoskie offers readers a new definition of success — the kind that makes a difference in the world and satisfies a personal desire for financial well-being.

The book is meant to give hope to people of all ages, whether they’re just entering the workforce or leaving their career in pursuit of starting something that brings compassion and ingenuity to business and, in a broader sense, makes the world a better place.

“Start Something that Matters” is slated to hit bookstore shelves Sept. 6, and true to the TOMS philosophy, a new book will be provided to children in need with each copy purchased.