Food

Lá Fendee: Forget what you’ve heard

Located at 1402 Westheimer, Lá Fendee Grill serves authentic Mediterranean food and provides an atmosphere that is genuine and creates a memorable experience. Though it has gotten bad press in recent months, that shouldn’t keep you from missing out on this hidden gem. | Sarah Nielsen/The Daily Cougar

Between Shepherd and Montrose on Westheimer sits Lá Fendee, a little Mediterranean restaurant across from Scorpion Tattoos.

Perhaps you’ve been there, or maybe you’ve been warned against it. Recently, it’s received a few bad reviews and had an inspection that went moderately awry. But like Rafiki from The Lion King, I urge you to forget the past.

When you go, do yourself a favor and get something that’s not a gyro, because you’re doing other ingredients a disservice when all you eat is bread, meat and tsatsiki.

Don’t be afraid to try the grilled eggplant with pomegranate vinaigrette and eat a fresh-made dolma. If you’re a caffeine fiend, make sure to sip on a cup of Turkish coffee.

Savor the gentle flavors and change of pace. Relax — the rushing of cars on Westheimer can sooth you while you enjoy this experience.

The owners are charming and serene. They greet you at the register when you pay and work every day to ensure that the fool is fresh and tasty.

But that’s the problem; critics are used to eating a quick meal, getting immediate service and the same food at every Mediterranean restaurant.

The menu at Lá Fendee is unusual yet inviting. You can’t help but acquire a taste for this location’s savory dishes.

Our waitress was attentive and worked extremely hard. I can’t begin to quantify her level of intent at providing good service.

The owners told me their restaurant used to have good reviews, which it should — but not by insolent people in their pajamas who rush to find a quick meal rather than enjoying it.

Lá Fendee is a family-owned restaurant that has been subject to many disparate opinions.

Not all hummus, ganoush or shawarmas are created equal. Let go of past experiences and open yourself to differences in place, time, texture, flavor and environment.

The only way one can truly appreciate their hummus is if you make some yourself, and that is more difficult than it sounds.

It’s delicious and fresh, and the owners put their hearts into this smooth spread. However, that’s not a highlight, but a complement, much like a palette to paints but on a home-baked pita instead.

The falafel is crispy on the outside but light on the inside, the chickpeas and parsley blend into a perfect vegetarian entrée. And the chicken shwarma, marinated and slow-cooked to an exceptional tenderness, easily tops anything on the menu.

So give this place a shot. Share the Chef’s Platter with someone special and get in and out for the price of a fast-food meal.

Spend a little time basking in the sun on the porch before vintage shopping, or grab a bite to eat before having a cocktail at the Anvil Bar or stepping up to the open mike at Poison Girl.

No matter what your plans are, Lá Fendee isn’t one to disappoint.